• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DVLA Rip Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I do occasionally wonder why we still get issued with the paper counterpart, now that all information is stored electronically somewhere.

I can't be the only one who cannot seem to find the paper counterpart, having never used it.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
The paper bit doesn't show much more, besides what points you might have (and I vaguely recall that you don't even have to let anyone see that?). And that information really ought to be obtainable via the usual checks for those that do need to know (even insurance companies should be able to get this data, without asking for you to declare it).

So, that's probably why nobody seems to care about the paper portion even though, technically, you need both parts. I've obviously kept both parts, and have taken both parts when travelling abroad - just in case - but not once have I been asked to show it here or abroad.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
As I always carry my driving licence, I signed up to be one of the first to get a photo ID - and it's been used countless times to prove my ID (and whenever I'm at the post office to pick up something, everyone in front of me seems to use theirs too - rather than a passport or whatever other photo ID might be accepted).

I prefer using my CPC card, which is similar to the licence, but blue. Gets some interesting reactions. :D

The paper bit doesn't show much more, besides what points you might have (and I vaguely recall that you don't even have to let anyone see that?).

It also shows what provisional entitlements you have.
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
And that information really ought to be obtainable via the usual checks for those that do need to know ....
Well, that's why they will be phasing them out.
not once have I been asked to show it here or abroad.
I routinely have to show the paper counterpart when hiring cars in this country. They do open it out to check for convictions. On one occasion I didn't have it - their procedure was to ring up to check the information (and charge you a fee for it); they didn't bother as I was a regular customer.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
But as I think most people will have experienced, that's not the case.

indeed, i am unsure where my paper bit is, the photo bit is in my wallet. My paper bit has no info other than the same as the photo card part as incredibly it is a clean licence which in hindsight even surprises myself.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well, that's why they will be phasing them out.

I routinely have to show the paper counterpart when hiring cars in this country. They do open it out to check for convictions. On one occasion I didn't have it - their procedure was to ring up to check the information (and charge you a fee for it); they didn't bother as I was a regular customer.

When I used a large international car hire firm with a branch near my home, there was 2 of us picking the car up as we would both be driving. They put in the two driver numbers, mine came back clean, and my mates came up he has 3 points and the offence code on their screen. They didn't even unfold our paper part.
One Europcar branch on another occasion didn't even look at the photo part, as id inputted all the driver numcer etc on their webpage first, all he checked was credit card name matched the booking details!
 
Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
But as I think most people will have experienced, that's not the case.

Try fitting the paper bit in your wallet :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Imposter eh? I've had my nickname since I was around 7 or 8 and is based on my surname, not my habit. ;)

Took you a while to spot that :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But you can renew online and have a passport photo acessed by the DVLA.

From https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

Butts would like to say thanks for the link, I have just completed the whole process online utilising the "passport pickup" and it was dead easy- far better than filling a form out and sticking pictures on etc.

Reluctantly I parted with my £20 and my new licence should be winging it's way to me in the next two weeks.

I have given an undertaking to return my old bits but will not do so until safe receipt of my new Licence and Counterfoil.

You don't think they will not send out the new one until they have received the old one do you ??

I want to hang onto it for flights at X-Mas to save trailing my passport about.

Well done Government Gateway :p
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
It's really annoying if you're foreign as you have to post your passport to the DVLA to get a first provisional licence.
 

Zoidberg

Established Member
Joined
27 Aug 2010
Messages
1,270
Location
West Midlands
Butts would like to say thanks for the link, I have just completed the whole process online utilising the "passport pickup" and it was dead easy- far better than filling a form out and sticking pictures on etc.

Reluctantly I parted with my £20 and my new licence should be winging it's way to me in the next two weeks.

I have given an undertaking to return my old bits but will not do so until safe receipt of my new Licence and Counterfoil.

You don't think they will not send out the new one until they have received the old one do you ??

I want to hang onto it for flights at X-Mas to save trailing my passport about.

Well done Government Gateway :p

I'm pleased to have been of assistance :)

It seems like a wise move to hold onto the old bits until the new stuff arrives, but I cannot help with the question about them not sending out the new licence until they receive the old one.

I hope it all works out well for you.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
£20 pays for my car tax. :D

Had to renew my photocard a year or so ago, passport this year as well as my Digital Tacho card. Not cheap!

In my view most of these services should be free - funded out of general taxation - or come to think of it the RFL Duty raised.

If you have lost it fair enough, but in other circumstances renewal should be at no cost.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
The paper bit doesn't show much more, besides what points you might have (and I vaguely recall that you don't even have to let anyone see that?).

My employer checks them regularly. Presumably it's because you don't have to pay to check them that way. I got a memo over the summer saying I had to present my licence and counterpart to my manager, or face disciplinary action and removal from driving duties. Considering I don't actually drive for them, I decided that I would risk it! :lol:
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Butts would like to thank the "taffs" in Abertawe for the prompt delivery of his new Driving Licence and Counterpart less than a week after submitting the online application :o

Whoever said the Welsh were a bunch of sheep fornicators :p

Tightwads even posted it 2nd Class despite the £20 fee - so well done Royal Mail as well.

Seriously top marks to the DVLA.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
Butts would like to thank the "taffs" in Abertawe for the prompt delivery of his new Driving Licence and Counterpart less than a week after submitting the online application :o

Whoever said the Welsh were a bunch of sheep fornicators :p

Tightwads even posted it 2nd Class despite the £20 fee - so well done Royal Mail as well.

Seriously top marks to the DVLA.

Not forgetting Christmas post. We send all our stuff by recorded delivery for my wife's small business, and we keep track of when its delivered. We've found 3 items posted on the 1/12 were only delivered yesterday (no wonder customers are getting irate) and other stuff posted on the 16/12 also showing as delivered yesterday. Seems a very inconsistent business.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Not forgetting Christmas post. We send all our stuff by recorded delivery for my wife's small business, and we keep track of when its delivered. We've found 3 items posted on the 1/12 were only delivered yesterday (no wonder customers are getting irate) and other stuff posted on the 16/12 also showing as delivered yesterday. Seems a very inconsistent business.

Yes, I guess lady luck was on my side from Swansea to Falkirk :lol:
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
Not forgetting Christmas post. We send all our stuff by recorded delivery for my wife's small business, and we keep track of when its delivered. We've found 3 items posted on the 1/12 were only delivered yesterday (no wonder customers are getting irate) and other stuff posted on the 16/12 also showing as delivered yesterday. Seems a very inconsistent business.

Recorded Delivery does not offer any security in transit though; it is simply lumped in with the ordinary post and is only scanned at the point of collection and the point of delivery. Only Special Delivery offers full tracking and segregated handling throughout.

Incidentally, if a Recorded Delivery is delivered but no signature shows on the RM website, you can claim the £1.10 fee back.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top