• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dutch OVKaart an intelligent beast

Status
Not open for further replies.

anme

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2013
Messages
1,777
I left in 1992 (although I still have great contact, having a Dutch bank account). They used to have eurocheques, and you could fill in the currency, so you could use them, guaranteed throughout Europe up to about £100 and thus possession of them (read theft) was highly prized, especially by such as Columbian gangs. More ubiquitously, they also had these 'acceptgiros' that you could just pay a bill by signing them and then posting them back to the supplier. It was just like something out of the punched card time warp. I suspect that these are both a memory now.

Perhaps someone with knowledge could comment? Are they still about? I don't think so.

I have some knowledge - as I said, I lived in the Netherlands for a while recently. I think Eurocheques have indeed disappeared, not just in the Netherlands but across Europe. I had some issued by my UK bank, and they were withdrawn well over ten years ago.

Acceptgiros are still widely used in the Netherlands for things like utility bills, although you can now pay them online so there's no need to post them back or physically visit a bank.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top