• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driving Habits - use of indicators

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,125
I've been caught double-glancing at newer card with daytime running lights, which turn off the front light on one side when they're indicating. It turns on again once the indicator switches off.

I also find it confusing when a light disappears from one side so that only one white light shows when the indicator is flashing. I could quite easily mistake it for a motor bike. It's just so unnecessarily dangerous.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
Following on from the other thread on motorway driving habits, why is it so few drivers use their indicators. On motorways, we have to guess whether vehicles are changing lanes on just veering. At roundabouts, I am reluctant to pull out unless a vehicle is indicating that they are turning off the roundabout into the road I am pulling out of, thereby causing longer delays and more congestion.

Why don't motorists use their indicators. Are they just selfish, or too busy playing with their phone / satnav/ radio etc?

Because they drive a BMW/Audi/Range Rover and therefore the rules don't apply to them... :rolleyes::lol:
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
If you think the lack of others indicating is difficult for you as a driver, try being a pedestrian!
The entrance to my local Tesco has a roundabout, which I have to cross to get to the store. People hug the middle of the roundabout, indicating right then 'moon slingshot' off the the left. Others approach in the offside, but take the first exit. And many other variants of poor driving. There are plenty of people that do indicate, but it does seem to be an optional extra in many driver's minds.
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,125
Location
Birmingham
People who don't indicate right when turning right at an Island but then indicate left to leave the island are just idiots

I also have to agree with the useless of the new cars whose headlights are replaced by an indicator light when used - whoever thought of that does definitely need a kicking. What happens when the hazard lights are on? I've never seen one with hazards on so does that mean that in the dark only the hazards can be seen?
 

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,346
Location
University of Birmingham
Indicating on roundabouts can sometimes be difficult. I was taught, for a 4-way roundabout, the following on approach:
  • 1st exit - indicate left
  • 2nd exit - don't indicate
  • 3rd exit - indicate right
  • When exiting the roundabout, indicate start indicating left just after the exit before the one you want
However, the layout of the roundabout can sometimes cause confusion. For example here:
Screenshot_20200312-233243.png
Approaching the roundabout from the top to go straight over, I wouldn't indicate until next to the 1st exit to show traffic entering from the second exit that I'm exiting there. This particular roundabout, however, is effectively a 3-way roundabout as the football club entrance is hardly used. Does this mean that I should be indicating right on approach to the roundabout? I would say not, as it would imply to other road users that I was planning to go into the football club, which I'm not.
A further complication here is that the left hand lane is for the first exit, and right hand lane for the second and third exits. This can sometimes confuse people who don't read the writing on the road surface.
 

Kingspanner

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2019
Messages
328
Location
Dinsdale
I've never heard of "Roadcraft" but this is something I've started to do on smaller roundabouts (those where you can generally see all exits on approach) and it definitely does make you more aware, not only of the traffic looking to enter the roundabout after your exit, but of traffic on the roundabout in general. It definitely removes that auto-pilot feel that I think we've all possibly felt at one time or another, especially on those routes we are very comfortable with
Here it is https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roadcraft-...28&hvtargid=pla-563800145928&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,561
Location
Somewhere
I also find it confusing when a light disappears from one side so that only one white light shows when the indicator is flashing. I could quite easily mistake it for a motor bike. It's just so unnecessarily dangerous.
Surely if you "Think Bike" you take more caution than normal?

You might not like them, but I can't see how lights temporarily dimming/switching off while the indicator is on is either dangerous or confusing.
 

DerekC

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2015
Messages
2,442
Location
Hampshire (nearly a Hog)
Surely if you "Think Bike" you take more caution than normal?

You might not like them, but I can't see how lights temporarily dimming/switching off while the indicator is on is either dangerous or confusing.

I think the problem is (like the indicator lights that light progressively across the lens) that they say "look at me, aren't I clever!" for just the fraction of a second when the intention should be 100% clear and need no processing so that you can react to it immediately.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top