nanstallon
Member
- Joined
- 18 Dec 2015
- Messages
- 1,063
I am minded to go to this event next April; can anyone offer any tips generally for somebody travelling by rail please? Or is it not very practicable and I should fly?
John
John
Many thanks, that is very helpful.I went to the festival this year and in a prior year. Both years using a railpass to travel about and catch the excursions at different locations. While a car can be more convenient, the organizers do post timepoints of key stations for each excursion, and with a bit of planning, one can get photos.
However, steam trips sometimes run late. Coupled with late running German trains, there can be randomness. Then there is the issue of knowing which of multiple routes a train might take. North of Dresden I positioned myself at a fairly photogenic spot, only to later find out the train took an alternate route! Lesson learned: when in doubt, seek out the photo location where the train is booked to pass through.
During the festival I've found the railfans you meet at stations and other photo locations often have good information and tips on photo locations.
The line up of steam locomotives at the roundhouse at night is always a good show. There are good views from the sidewalk of the overhead highway bridge adjacent the roundhouse.
One of the festival highlights is the side by side running on two parallel tracks of two steam locomotives--one passenger, one goods, approaching the camera upgrade from Tharandt Station. Unfortunately, this year a trespasser climbing a catenary mast caused the spectacular run to be cancelled. Lots of annoyed and disappointed railfans. I hope the organizers do not cancel future excursions at this location due to this incident, as it also delayed regular revenue service passenger trains.
The steam locomotive positioning moves before and after the festival add to the variety of trains to photograph.
In addition to all this, there are a variety of scheduled narrow gauge lines around the Dresden area.
Getting to Dresden is straightforward, though if you live as far away as your username implies, it's more than a day's journey (it's about 11hr from London).I am minded to go to this event next April; can anyone offer any tips generally for somebody travelling by rail please? Or is it not very practicable and I should fly?
European Sleeper runs a service there from Brussels - there's also another sleeper from Zurich.Getting to Dresden is straightforward, though if you live as far away as your username implies, it's more than a day's journey (it's about 11hr from London).