• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DOWN UNDER with TT-ONR-NRN (+ other overseas ventures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
On the Sydney to Canberra NSW TrainLink trains, one will often see kangaroos (that by and large prefer open grasslands, with not too many trees) between Joppa Junction (junction of the lines to Melbourne and Canberra) and Queanbeyan (in NSW, eight kilometres or so before one reaches Canberra in the ACT).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
Tremendous. Harder for those on the island continent to match you at that age given how the seas separate us. Handy that you have many European countries within reach. But I've still not been to Luxembourg.

My definition of 'visiting' a country does not include an airline transit stop (i.e. not exiting from the airport). I must stay overnight or travel by surface transport through or within a nation.

It's also questionable whether travelling through without stopping by land counts as a proper "visit". If it does, I can claim both Luxembourg (road) and Liechtenstein (rail). If not, I can claim neither. To be honest I veer towards the latter.
Though I would say that wandering round Brussels for 2 hours while waiting for a train connection counts as a visit to Belgium (for example), albeit a short one.

I agree about the airline criteria, I've changed planes in Chicago and Atlanta but don't feel I can "claim" Illinois or Georgia.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,938
Location
Mold, Clwyd
On the Sydney to Canberra NSW TrainLink trains, one will often see kangaroos (that by and large prefer open grasslands, with not too many trees) between Joppa Junction (junction of the lines to Melbourne and Canberra) and Queanbeyan (in NSW, eight kilometres or so before one reaches Canberra in the ACT).
I've got a picture of a field alongside the railway on the approach to Canberra, with probably 50 kangaroos seemingly in a team meeting.
A couple of hours later, on the return journey, the field was empty!
Last month there some on the railway tracks just beyond the terminal station.

Another special sight in Canberra is the spiky helmets some cyclists wear to keep the diving magpies at bay in the breeding season.
It makes them (the cyclists) look like Prussian army officers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top