• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does anyone know if any NT sprinters are or might be preserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,795
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Most 70s and 80s era control electronics are not exceedingly complicated. For example, Brush produced very comprehensive documentation of their control cards for the Class 43, 56, 58 locomotives. It’s only where you get to the Class 60, 92 and MUs from 319 onwards that a significant level of specialist knowledge is required to undertake troubleshooting and repairs.
The Class 60s have plenty of documentation on the electronics...
Probably the last locomotive that does.



I’ve had a flick through the Class 150 schematics. The only significant electronic devices are TPWS, OTMR, GSM-R, WSP, vigilance, door control, toilet modules, and the track circuit actuator unit. Other than the door control, I would expect that all of these can be isolated for low speed heritage use.

Heritage organisations are not keen to implement electrical modifications as, even if it is judged that safety assessment is not required, the making of engineering judgement requires a level of expertise beyond what most volunteers can provide.
Throttle control units would also be "electronic", also CCTV and any other gucci stuff that's been added.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HOOVER29

Member
Joined
26 Mar 2009
Messages
605
As somebody who takes an interest in ’special’ trains, e.g. the Serco Test carriages and 313121, I’m holding out hope that 950001 will be similarly preserved.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


As it happens, GCR has already operated the first ever Sprinters in preservation, in the form of their two 153s. These were operated at the 2024 Spring Diesel Gala.
If I remember correctly the pair worked the first service of the day at the GCR gala
I joined at Quorn for the short run to Rothley
Quite a few on board too
Most of the cranks if I remember waited at Loughborough for the loco hauled 2nd service.
 

Towers

Established Member
Joined
30 Aug 2021
Messages
3,016
Location
UK
The Class 60s have plenty of documentation on the electronics...
Probably the last locomotive that does.




Throttle control units would also be "electronic", also CCTV and any other gucci stuff that's been added.
Plus the slightly more advanced safety systems which come with second gen stock - door interlock systems and associated isolation, passcoms and their isolation system, and so on. I’ve no idea what the rules are for running this era rolling stock on a heritage line, I presume it all has to function correctly?!
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,795
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Plus the slightly more advanced safety systems which come with second gen stock - door interlock systems and associated isolation, passcoms and their isolation system, and so on. I’ve no idea what the rules are for running this era rolling stock on a heritage line, I presume it all has to function correctly?!
Door interlocks and passcoms on 15x vehicles aren't electronic, pure simple relays.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,302
Location
East Midlands
Plus the slightly more advanced safety systems which come with second gen stock - door interlock systems and associated isolation, passcoms and their isolation system, and so on. I’ve no idea what the rules are for running this era rolling stock on a heritage line, I presume it all has to function correctly?!
I'm pretty sure there are absolutely no rules requiring things like door interlocks or any other "advanced" safety systems to be functional when running on heritage lines, given that such lines are exempt (for example) from having any sort of secondary door locking (or door stewarding as a substitute as per some mainline instances) on slam-door stock, and also exempt from having systems like TPWS working (even though it's fitted on some of the heritage DMUs). I would think in the abscence of any such specific rules though the ORR would probably expect you to have any such systems either working and tested *or* isolated and out of use, so there would be no false reliance on them in some possibly partly functional state.

The TPWS case in particular seems to illustrate that just because a system is fitted there is not an automatic obligation to have it active and working.

Anyhow, I'm not an expert, this is just from what I've read; maybe a heritage railway volunteer or employee will comment on the exact ORR requirements.

Edit: Although based on the next post after the one I replied to if door interlocks are that simple it sounds like there's no reason they should not be working and it's probably desirable.
 

Towers

Established Member
Joined
30 Aug 2021
Messages
3,016
Location
UK
I'm pretty sure there are absolutely no rules requiring things like door interlocks or any other "advanced" safety systems to be functional when running on heritage lines, given that such lines are exempt (for example) from having any sort of secondary door locking (or door stewarding as a substitute as per some mainline instances) on slam-door stock, and also exempt from having systems like TPWS working (even though it's fitted on some of the heritage DMUs). I would think in the abscence of any such specific rules though the ORR would probably expect you to have any such systems either working and tested *or* isolated and out of use, so there would be no false reliance on them in some possibly partly functional state.

The TPWS case in particular seems to illustrate that just because a system is fitted there is not an automatic obligation to have it active and working.

Anyhow, I'm not an expert, this is just from what I've read; maybe a heritage railway volunteer or employee will comment on the exact ORR requirements.

Edit: Although based on the next post after the one I replied to if door interlocks are that simple it sounds like there's no reason they should not be working and it's probably desirable.
TPWS would be interesting one; it may be present on some rolling stock but of course the applicable trackside equipment is simply not in place at most heritage lines, so having it working on board is moot.

Something like door interlock and passcoms are an integral part of the rolling stock as-built. I wonder if it would be permitted to run for example a Mk1 coach without a working alarm chord?
 

Crant90045

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2025
Messages
47
Location
Batley, West Yorks
I do really hope atleast one of each class of NT sprinters will be preserved as they are still in somewhat good condition, i cant find any specific articles on guaranteed preservation like what happened with 507001 for example but i do know that some northern 153s are stored in Ely? right?
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
I do really hope atleast one of each class of NT sprinters will be preserved as they are still in somewhat good condition, i cant find any specific articles on guaranteed preservation like what happened with 507001 for example but i do know that some northern 153s are stored in Ely? right?
I’m not sure what you mean by ”guaranteed” preservation of 507001. The unit is currently at Litchurch Lane (Alstom) and will reside there until it is eventually roaded to its home in preservation.

Several 153s have been preserved, as discussed upthread.
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,795
Location
Somewhere, not in London
I do really hope atleast one of each class of NT sprinters will be preserved as they are still in somewhat good condition, i cant find any specific articles on guaranteed preservation like what happened with 507001 for example but i do know that some northern 153s are stored in Ely? right?
Ely and Long Marston, depending on who owned them.

They are in a very poor state and approaching scrapping when I last looked at them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top