I think "often" is the key word here. Not always, not never, but often.
Here's the thing. You can have bad operators, you can have middling operators and you can have good operators. You can have FTSE owned companies, large private operators, small independent operators, publicly owned operators. And you can have any combination of the former with the latter.
Likewise de-regulation was never a panacea for perfect services. You can have good deregulated services, middling ones, poor ones. Same for regulation.
There is no perfect system.
What should be pretty obvious is that the deregulation of 2025 is very different to the deregulation of 1986 in terms of operators, quality and services. I was thinking about this with the launch of the Bee Network. Prior to deregulation my parents house (where I grew up) was served by one bus route run by GM Transport (let us call it route A) that ran every 15 minutes in peak, 20 minutes off-peak. Within a few years of deregulation, there were three routes (A, joined by B and C.) In one direction, eight buses an hour ran. In the other, ten. Three companies running down the same bit of road.
Skip forward a few decades, and only the original route (A) remains. Prior to franchising it had (as it still does) four buses an hour peak, three buses an hour off-peak, served by one operator, Stagecoach. One of the new operators lost its licence to operate due to safety concerns, the other got swallowed up by First who then retreated from the area.
That was the reality of bus de-regulation near my parents. A flurry of activity, new routes, all manner of stuff. And all that remains is the original bus service, running in a very similar way to what happened if deregulation had never happened in the first place. I wonder how often that pattern has been repeated across the country.
(Whilst I haven't named the route for personal privacy reasons, I checked the timetables using the
Railmedia Timetable Archive)