• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derby Loco Works Scrap Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
Hopefully some kind soul on here can help with regard to the history of the scrap line (the Klondyke sidings IIRC) at Derby Locomotive works. Before I finished my spotting days in the mid 80's a trip round Derby works on a Saturday morning would finish by walking past the testing bay and on to the scrap line. For years the same locos were not cut up and I often wondered why.

Three or four years after the end of my spotting days I was waiting to head back down to London when a rake of loco's looking decidedly worse for wear was dragged on to the station avoiding lines. I would be very interested to know whether it was the same line of loco's that I had seen all those years before.

I'm afraid all my notebooks were chucked out many years a go and I certainly have no record of what I saw that afternoon. The only clue I have to offer is that it would have around the summer of 1988. I would be very grateful if someone could shed some light on this.

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
2,362
Location
Portsmouth
It was a similar story at Swindon with rows of 40s, 45s, 46s and 25s awaiting the scrapman for a number of years. A similar thing happens nowadays at Toton with Class 60s.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top