I mentioned this in the thread relating to possible efficiencies occurring under Great British Railways, but I wanted to create a dedicated thread to this subject because I think it's quite interesting. What kind of depot work could be merged or split under the new nationalised operator to improve efficiency and increase flexibility for diagramming and rostering? I have a few ideas myself that I've mentioned before and will list here, and I am open to discussion about them as well.
I'd like to hear the feasibility of such an idea of merging/splitting depots or links under GBR, and I'd like to hear some of your own suggestions as to what could possibly happen.
- Because of several early morning London Northwestern departures at Euston, I think taking advantage of the One West Coast merging brings an opportunity to include some commuter link work since LNR currently don't have a depot here. Starter link drivers could begin with 350/730 services running to Tring and Northampton with top link drivers going more long distance and covering London-Crewe diagrams as well as taking on the existing Avanti traction and routes. This means that, theoretically, you could have a top link driver provide cover for a London-Tring service even if it's outside their usual diagram because they have still retained the route and traction knowledge needed.
- Likewise I think Liverpool Lime Street (or specifically Edge Hill Depot) could also have links covering the Liverpool-Birmingham route under LNR alongside the Liverpool-London Avanti services since the route knowledge practically overlaps and would only really require new traction knowledge (starters could maybe begin with 350/730 diagrams to Birmingham with progression to include 390/807 diagrams to London. Drivers signing all traction could be diagrammed to work either service).
- Manchester Piccadilly could do similar with the TPE West Coast Link along with CrossCountry and Avanti links coming together or being split across specialised links. TPE's Manchester to Scotland services has very little overlap with other TPE services but lots of overlap with Avanti, and similarly CrossCountry drivers running to Reading have a bit of overlap with Avanti between Manchester and Birmingham, the only major divergence being the route to Reading itself.
I'd like to hear the feasibility of such an idea of merging/splitting depots or links under GBR, and I'd like to hear some of your own suggestions as to what could possibly happen.