• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay with SeatFrog: TPE Denying Compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

E100

Member
Joined
29 Apr 2018
Messages
187
An excellent letter.

In cases where the impact is broad like this I've often asked them to direct my correspondence to the appropriate select committee colleagues and the minister.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Thinking about it more wasn't this exactly the sort of thing the rail ombudsman was brought in to try and do? In my limited experience I have have found they almost always seem to side with the TOC but that is purely anecdotal and could well be completely wrong.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,941
Location
Gwynedd
I think MPs will only normally get involed in cases that impact you.

MPs have finite capacity, and will focus on matters that affect their constituency - normally by affecting constituents, but not necessarily. They (or, rather, their offices) also have a view of who write to them on particular topics, and have been known to use that to prioritise what matters they take up. A generalised "people are having problems" contact, followed by a personal "these are my issues" on the same broad topic may not be the best way to get them to engage. Alternatively, a letter that gives the MP's caseworker a clear sense of "this is why this matters in this constituency" is more likely to get traction.

I would add that if your issue is, "I have problems claiming Delay Repay, but I get there in the end", they are not going to put a lot of effort into the matter.
My MP has told me in response they they will take this up with the ORR.

I have added in response to them that I'm happy to give my own personal accounts if it adds weight to their advocacy aspect as an MP.

Will see how we get on.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
I would add that if your issue is, "I have problems claiming Delay Repay, but I get there in the end", they are not going to put a lot of effort into the matter.
I believe the MP's staff will determine it's not an item of casework if the constituent isn't asking for assistance in resolving circumstances personal to them. They will instead process it as a piece of policy work. They should, at minimum, add it to their database of contacts from verified constituents, with a short summary of the policy area and what the constituent's position on it was. For example: "The constituent wrote to the Member to explain that they felt consumer protection for passengers who buy train tickets wasn't sufficient, or wasn't being adequately enforced. The constituent advocated for regulation which would improve consumer rights in this area, or enforcement which would improve perceived compliance with existing law."

You're absolutely right, of course, that the MP probably won't find time to personally consider the matter, nor will there be much influence they can bring to bear. But that doesn't take away from the right to bring the matter to their attention, of course.
 

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2013
Messages
3,168
An additional data point for anyone coming to this thread.

I traveled on two advance tickets, one Northern, one TPE, and a Seatfrog upgrade for the TPE leg. I was delayed for over an hour by the failure of the Keadby Sliding Bridge on Tuesday. The next day, Wednesday, I put in the claim with multiple tickets, including the Seatfrog confirmation for the correctly identified journey. Confirmation of approval and payment came through on Thursday.

Sometimes the systems do work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top