• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay missed connection LNER and cross country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ojaybee

New Member
Joined
13 May 2019
Messages
2
I am travelling from wakefield westgate to Oxford. The route is Wakefield westgate to doncaster (LNER) Doncaster Oxford (cross country)

The LNER leg was delayed by 12 minutes meaning I missed my connection in Doncaster.

I bought my ticket through trainine. The earliest I can now get to Oxford is 61 minutes later than stated on my ticket.

I spoke to an LNER rep at Doncaster who told me to pursue delay repay with trainline. Checking the 'train' app they advise claiming from the company direct.

As there are two companies involved who do I claim from and will LNER just tell me they were only 12 minutes late and refuse to pay?

Thanks for any advice.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

higthomas

Established Member
Joined
27 Nov 2012
Messages
1,229
The company who caused you the delay (LNER).
The should refund you, it is the delay to the journey that matters.
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
The delay repay claim goes to LNER for the total delay to your end destination. Oxford in this case.
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
I am travelling from wakefield westgate to Oxford. The route is Wakefield westgate to doncaster (LNER) Doncaster Oxford (cross country)

The LNER leg was delayed by 12 minutes meaning I missed my connection in Doncaster.

I bought my ticket through trainine. The earliest I can now get to Oxford is 61 minutes later than stated on my ticket.

I spoke to an LNER rep at Doncaster who told me to pursue delay repay with trainline. Checking the 'train' app they advise claiming from the company direct.

As there are two companies involved who do I claim from and will LNER just tell me they were only 12 minutes late and refuse to pay?

Thanks for any advice.
Unfortunately the LNER rep has totally misled you. The only time you contact a retailer is when you are seeking a refund - i.e. you want to return the ticket because you didn't travel for whatever reason.

If you are seeking compensation because you travelled but were delayed, then it is the first train company who caused your journey to become delayed that you claim off. In this case, that is LNER.

It is quite normal for a minor delay on one service to lead to a much longer overall delay to someone's journey if there is a tight connection, so I don't expect that they will cause any problems in paying out.

For your information, next time if you book through another booking engine, such as CrossCountry or LNER themselves, not only will you avoid paying the cheeky booking fees that The Trainline charge, but you will gain the ability to select a specific seat on the seatmap when travelling on the relevant company's trains (this works for LNER, CrossCountry, Virgin and TransPennine Express). Or if you book through the likes of TrainSplit then you may end up paying much less in total because it suggests a cheaper combination of tickets (e.g. Wakefield to Sheffield, Sheffield to Derby, Derby to Birmingham, Birmingham to Banbury, Banbury to Oxford).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top