• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could the North Mersey branch be reopened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaramellDansen

On Moderation
Joined
6 Jan 2024
Messages
175
Location
Liverpool
I think a good start for most of these people who want to open old railway (including myself) is to gather a society and acctually research the line etc. I’m doing a bit of research on the Princetown line as well.
I'm no leader since I'm in a few organisations now (train-related and otherwise) but I'd certainly join and participate in any such group!
without their optimism, none of this would be here.
This should be pinned to the top of the website!! :D This attitude is the lifeblood of heritage!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chester1

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
4,442
This is the optimism this thread - no, this forum - needs! If we don't allow ourselves to even dream it, how will we ever allow ourselves to go and get it?

Dreaming of re-opening the North Mersey Line as a heritage railway is a rather niche dream. Its not an obvious choice even within Merseyside. All the rail would need replacing and as other members have pointed out, there is absolutely nothing along the line of interest to look at.
 

CaramellDansen

On Moderation
Joined
6 Jan 2024
Messages
175
Location
Liverpool
Dreaming of re-opening the North Mersey Line as a heritage railway is a rather niche dream. Its not an obvious choice even within Merseyside. All the rail would need replacing and as other members have pointed out, there is absolutely nothing along the line of interest to look at.
Even as a line just for driver training or even just using some of the land for loco / unit restoration and display... It's an opportunity, and it's hardly of zero value. The issue isn't that it's not a perfect line and therefore has no value, the issue is what CAN be done with the line and how to go about doing it!
If you have any recommendations in Merseyside, please add to the discussions about them, and I'd be happy to read them and discuss myself (read: ADD to the discussions)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I'm not flying the North Mersey flag because it's some kind of hidden gem, I'm doing so because it's local and I care about it. I don't want to travel 100 miles to start a heritage line in some place I've never been because "it has more trees" or whatever. I want to start a heritage line to save a line and to save locomotives.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The line could be at risk already. It's easy to be complacent until it's gone...
 
Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,715
Even as a line just for driver training or even just using some of the land for loco / unit restoration and display... It's an opportunity, and it's hardly of zero value. The issue isn't that it's not a perfect line and therefore has no value, the issue is what CAN be done with the line and how to go about doing it!
If you have any recommendations in Merseyside, please add to the discussions about them, and I'd be happy to read them and discuss myself (read: ADD to the discussions)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I'm not flying the North Mersey flag because it's some kind of hidden gem, I'm doing so because it's local and I care about it. I don't want to travel 100 miles to start a heritage line in some place I've never been because "it has more trees" or whatever. I want to start a heritage line to save a line and to save locomotives.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The line could be at risk already. It's easy to be complacent until it's gone...
I've no doubt NR would happily off load the liability if someone has the cash to speculate and take it on, as in effect that is all it comes down to, someone who wants burn money on it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top