• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Consensus on legality of drugs in Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,730
Location
Scotland
That hasn’t happened in the United States though. Why would that be the case here?
It may have escaped your notice, but the United Kingdom isn't the same country as the United States of America. Using your logic, Kinder Eggs should be illegal in the UK while there would be no restriction on owning handguns.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,592
Location
LBK
It may have escaped your notice, but the United Kingdom isn't the same country as the United States of America. Using your logic, Kinder Eggs should be illegal in the UK while there would be no restriction on owning handguns.
My argument is actually that the UK should *not* have the same laws as (parts of) the USA so I’m not sure why you’ve made this rhetorical point.
 

66701GBRF

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2017
Messages
913
I've come to this a bit late - but - the fact that most of the more liberal states of the USA have legalised cannabis must surely speak volumes.

Only legal at local level. You can still be arrested and prosecuted by federal law, its also the reason why the dispensaries are cash only.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,158
Location
Wilmslow
The biggest problem for me is government, which establishes groups of independent reviewers to propose changes to drug policies, and then doesn't implement the output of these reviewers for political reasons. I don't mind that they do things for political reasons, I just don't care for the farce of asking for independent input and then deciding to do otherwise anyway.
The whole "war on drugs" has been immensely destructive for decades.
Where we are, and have been for a long time I think, is where we have laws which are widely ignored and flouted with impunity, police and politicians alike don't want to see them enforced, but that latter have to have a political posture which flies in the fact of common sense.
I think people need guidance, advice and assistance. Then make their own choices. I think that, in the main, people should be able to do what they want with their bodies, but most make the choice not to go too far.
The "drugs trade" as it now exists is exploitative and tremendously damaging, but it's also entrenched in our society, at least for the minority of people who use illegal drugs. And don't forget that this includes current government cabinet ministers. It reeks of hypocrisy.
But solutions aren't easy either, I agree. Legalisation means more care is needed towards the more vulnerable in our society, which isn't going to happen.
I'd vote for politicians who aren't hypocritical about this, but they all are, either because they are or else they know that to be honest would lose votes.
So I think we're stuck with a status quo of a system which everyone knows is broken, but it's easier to carry on with a system in which things are illegal but the law rarely gets enforced.
On a personal level I've gone as far as cannabis in the past, but that's it, but it's not the illegality of things like cocaine that puts me off really, it's the self-harm I'd be doing. Plus giving money to an odious system of supply.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,367
Location
Yorkshire
I'm all too aware 'hard' drug is a woolly term but I wouldn't class cannabis as a hard drug.
It isn't a "hard drug" in the same way as cocaine or heroin, but whilst it doesn't create a chemical dependency it can (like a plethora of other substances or behaviours) be habit-forming for some people.
I've been a long-term user of cannabis, but never even tried harder drugs. For a long time I believed the "non addictive" stuff and was convinced that I could stop at any time. It was only when I actually tried to stop that I realised I had a problem. I was also under the misapprehension that if I turned up for a rehabilitation course saying I was addicted to weed, that I'd not be taken seriously because there's so much propaganda about how it's "less damaging than alcohol" etc. Thankfully that isn't in fact the case, and I've now been fully clean for about three months and counting.

Any behaviour or substance use can become a damaging habit, and there's usually an underlying issue contributing to someone developing a problem with that behaviour or substance. In my case it was a form of self-medication for complex PTSD, but it took me a long time to realise that's what was happening. I'd convinced myself that the only reason I used was because I enjoyed it, though with hindsight I now realise that the novelty had worn off long ago.

I know people who have been able to use it responsibly, just as some can use alcohol responsibly whilst others can't. I personally support the Portuguese model for dealing with drug use, because the current system we have doesn't prevent use of drugs, nor does it allow for those with a problem to seek help easily. At the moment we have the worst of both worlds.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,730
Location
Scotland
My argument is actually that the UK should *not* have the same laws as (parts of) the USA so I’m not sure why you’ve made this rhetorical point.
Ah, okay. I misunderstood your post.
You can still be arrested and prosecuted by federal law, its also the reason why the dispensaries are cash only.
That, and the fact that it would be illegal under federal law for banks to process 'drug money'.
 

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
It isn't a "hard drug" in the same way as cocaine or heroin, but whilst it doesn't create a chemical dependency it can (like a plethora of other substances or behaviours) be habit-forming for some people.
I've been a long-term user of cannabis, but never even tried harder drugs. For a long time I believed the "non addictive" stuff and was convinced that I could stop at any time. It was only when I actually tried to stop that I realised I had a problem. I was also under the misapprehension that if I turned up for a rehabilitation course saying I was addicted to weed, that I'd not be taken seriously because there's so much propaganda about how it's "less damaging than alcohol" etc. Thankfully that isn't in fact the case, and I've now been fully clean for about three months and counting.

Any behaviour or substance use can become a damaging habit, and there's usually an underlying issue contributing to someone developing a problem with that behaviour or substance. In my case it was a form of self-medication for complex PTSD, but it took me a long time to realise that's what was happening. I'd convinced myself that the only reason I used was because I enjoyed it, though with hindsight I now realise that the novelty had worn off long ago.

I know people who have been able to use it responsibly, just as some can use alcohol responsibly whilst others can't. I personally support the Portuguese model for dealing with drug use, because the current system we have doesn't prevent use of drugs, nor does it allow for those with a problem to seek help easily. At the moment we have the worst of both worlds.
Thats a fantastic achievement. Keep going!
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,730
Location
Scotland
Any behaviour or substance use can become a damaging habit, and there's usually an underlying issue contributing to someone developing a problem with that behaviour or substance. In my case it was a form of self-medication for complex PTSD, but it took me a long time to realise that's what was happening. I'd convinced myself that the only reason I used was because I enjoyed it, though with hindsight I now realise that the novelty had worn off long ago.
I'm glad to hear that you're starting to deal with the issues behind your overuse of cannabis - as you point out, this kind of thing can happen with any substance or habit, whether legal or illegal. As an example, I have a friend who drinks a minimum of five cans every single evening and smokes maybe 20 a day because, in his words, it's "the only way I can feel good".

I really worry about his health, as he's 34 now and if he keeps on this way he's heading for serious health issues before he reaches his mid-40s. But that won't happen until he deals with his emotional issues, whatever they are.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,592
Location
LBK
It isn't a "hard drug" in the same way as cocaine or heroin, but whilst it doesn't create a chemical dependency it can (like a plethora of other substances or behaviours) be habit-forming for some people.
I've been a long-term user of cannabis, but never even tried harder drugs. For a long time I believed the "non addictive" stuff and was convinced that I could stop at any time. It was only when I actually tried to stop that I realised I had a problem. I was also under the misapprehension that if I turned up for a rehabilitation course saying I was addicted to weed, that I'd not be taken seriously because there's so much propaganda about how it's "less damaging than alcohol" etc. Thankfully that isn't in fact the case, and I've now been fully clean for about three months and counting.

Any behaviour or substance use can become a damaging habit, and there's usually an underlying issue contributing to someone developing a problem with that behaviour or substance. In my case it was a form of self-medication for complex PTSD, but it took me a long time to realise that's what was happening. I'd convinced myself that the only reason I used was because I enjoyed it, though with hindsight I now realise that the novelty had worn off long ago.

I know people who have been able to use it responsibly, just as some can use alcohol responsibly whilst others can't. I personally support the Portuguese model for dealing with drug use, because the current system we have doesn't prevent use of drugs, nor does it allow for those with a problem to seek help easily. At the moment we have the worst of both worlds.
Thanks for sharing your story. It takes guts to admit to addiction or dependency and more power to your elbow going forward.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
I really worry about his health, as he's 34 now and if he keeps on this way he's heading for serious health issues before he reaches his mid-40s. But that won't happen until he deals with his emotional issues, whatever they are.

This is so true.

Unless you deal with the issues that are causing you to drink too much alcohol, use illegal drugs etc., you will have a hard time cutting down or stopping using those substances.

You also have to admit that you have a problem in the first place, which is often the most difficult thing to do.

Other people know deep down that they have a problem, but find it too difficult to take the steps required to solve that problem.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,367
Location
Yorkshire
Thats a fantastic achievement. Keep going!

I'm glad to hear that you're starting to deal with the issues behind your overuse of cannabis - as you point out, this kind of thing can happen with any substance or habit, whether legal or illegal. As an example, I have a friend who drinks a minimum of five cans every single evening and smokes maybe 20 a day because, in his words, it's "the only way I can feel good".

I really worry about his health, as he's 34 now and if he keeps on this way he's heading for serious health issues before he reaches his mid-40s. But that won't happen until he deals with his emotional issues, whatever they are.

Thanks for sharing your story. It takes guts to admit to addiction or dependency and more power to your elbow going forward.
Thanks for the support all of you. As with any lifestyle change it's a case of taking it one day at a time, a big step I took over the weekend was holding a sort of low-key "bonfire of the vanities" where I threw away all my paraphernalia, as I realised I had no idea why I was holding onto it all. The harder I make it to fall back, the less likely I am to do so.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top