LibertyCap89
New Member
- Joined
- 6 Feb 2018
- Messages
- 2
Today I got stopped upon exiting my train by the ticket wardens who check our tickets, I had forgotten to get a ticket for no other reason than being stressed and as I suffer from anxiety my brain seems to have ‘foggy days’, anyway, this is the 2nd time in a year I’ve forgotten and last time I got a penalty which I paid promptly.
This time the officer read out my rights and that anything I say may be used in court, he took a statement down and made me sign it, I stated it was not intentional and that I had previous days tickets on hand to prove it was a one off mistake, I apologised and said I have means to pay any penalty or fine.
He called to ID check me and because I had a previous fine on record he decided not to fine me and said “this is not looking good, you’ll get a letter in the post” then walked away. I asked what happens now, do I pay a penalty? He said “just read the letter”.
So I then google as to what the letter may say and am pretty shaken to see it could land me a court summon and criminal record. I work in finance and am literally in the middle of a job change to work with charities to build knowledge to one day setup my own charity to help others with mental health issues, and now it could all go to ****.
Is there any advice here at all that can help? I don’t keep my train tickets (apart from ones that week), and I usually pay cash for my fares (a few on card in emergencies).
I’m thinking of writing a letter to SWR apologising for the one off error and that I wish to pay for any penalty and time I’ve wasted, it is not my wish to prolong a court case for this small error. Is this advisable?
I purchased a ticket right away after and a season ticket this week will be bought so I don’t make the mistake again.
Would really be appreciative for some advice as to the best way to resolve, or at least minimise the damage to the life.
This time the officer read out my rights and that anything I say may be used in court, he took a statement down and made me sign it, I stated it was not intentional and that I had previous days tickets on hand to prove it was a one off mistake, I apologised and said I have means to pay any penalty or fine.
He called to ID check me and because I had a previous fine on record he decided not to fine me and said “this is not looking good, you’ll get a letter in the post” then walked away. I asked what happens now, do I pay a penalty? He said “just read the letter”.
So I then google as to what the letter may say and am pretty shaken to see it could land me a court summon and criminal record. I work in finance and am literally in the middle of a job change to work with charities to build knowledge to one day setup my own charity to help others with mental health issues, and now it could all go to ****.
Is there any advice here at all that can help? I don’t keep my train tickets (apart from ones that week), and I usually pay cash for my fares (a few on card in emergencies).
I’m thinking of writing a letter to SWR apologising for the one off error and that I wish to pay for any penalty and time I’ve wasted, it is not my wish to prolong a court case for this small error. Is this advisable?
I purchased a ticket right away after and a season ticket this week will be bought so I don’t make the mistake again.
Would really be appreciative for some advice as to the best way to resolve, or at least minimise the damage to the life.
Last edited: