• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 99s on Caledonian Sleeper

TrainViation

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2025
Messages
301
Location
Glenrothes
Allegedly, GBRf have the contract again for the sleeper, and are looking to order special 99s for the service. This is bad news for all Class 73 lovers…
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class15

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2021
Messages
4,168
Location
North London or Mildmay line
I’d be very sorry to see the end of the 92s.

Having been refurbished specifically for this purpose, I think it would be a crying shame to see them replaced by 99s.

Fingers crossed this doesn’t happen.
 

andyjhatton

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2023
Messages
114
Location
Dartford
I imagine they would require ETS fitment and a speed increase.
The speed increase would probably be a drawn-out process, in terms of certification.
 

TrainViation

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2025
Messages
301
Location
Glenrothes
I imagine they would require ETS fitment and a speed increase.
The speed increase would probably be a drawn-out process, in terms of certification.
Here’s a post I seen about the announcement. IMG_5109.jpeg

I’ve also realised that these 99s will have to be fitted with RETB to be able to run on the West Highland Line for the Fort William portion of the sleeper, and also special clearances may be needed too.
 

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2016
Messages
1,757
Here’s a post I seen about the announcement. View attachment 212724

I’ve also realised that these 99s will have to be fitted with RETB to be able to run on the West Highland Line for the Fort William portion of the sleeper, and also special clearances may be needed too.
RETB fitment is easy enough. It's the braking capability that will need some work for that line, bringing a sleeper smoothly down from County March into Fort William is no mean feat, even at 40mph max.
 

hwl

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2012
Messages
8,275
I imagine they would require ETS fitment and a speed increase.
The speed increase would probably be a drawn-out process, in terms of certification.
They will be new batch with ETS from the factory. The transformer is already sized to be able to provide ETS.
Speed increase as previously discussed is just swapping dampers and software tweak, they were designed to be 100mph from the start.
The paperwork will be the biggest item.
 

wickham

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2021
Messages
708
Location
Knaphill
I’d be very sorry to see the end of the 92s.

Having been refurbished specifically for this purpose, I think it would be a crying shame to see them replaced by 99s.

Fingers crossed this doesn’t happen.
The 92s may well be quite iconic and interesting to see, but to be honest they are not particularly reliable and that is a key to service such as this.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,735
Location
Croydon
I imagine they would require ETS fitment and a speed increase.
The speed increase would probably be a drawn-out process, in terms of certification.
I believe that some of the 99s will be fitted with ETS.
That is for the Royal Scotsman and the Pullman (from Victoria). I am not sure about the Belmond Britanic Explorer as that has generator coaches.
Use to cover the sleeper contract would just increase the cost effectiveness of ordering a ETS fitted version of the 99.

How much of a speed increase is required ?.
The sleeper does not go that fast. After all we do not want the passengers falling out of their beds AND we don't want them arriving too early for a decent nights sleep !.

The maximum speed of a 92 is 87 mph (140km/h).
The maximum speed of a 99 is 75 mph (120km/h) but can be raised to 100 mph.
Above according to AI and Wikipedia.
 
Last edited:

andyjhatton

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2023
Messages
114
Location
Dartford
Aye the parts for 99 running at 160kph may be on the shelf, but NetworkRail and ORR will have their say in procedures.
That's what takes the time.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,538
Location
Taunton or Kent
I’d be very sorry to see the end of the 92s.

Having been refurbished specifically for this purpose, I think it would be a crying shame to see them replaced by 99s.

Fingers crossed this doesn’t happen.
But being bi-modes presumably the good thing about 99s is they can stay on the front part of the train for the whole journey, with additional locos coming in for the other portions as now. As more of Scotland is electrified they can also use wires for more of the journey going forward.
 

Tilting007

Member
Joined
21 Oct 2024
Messages
262
Location
Rugby
Mk5s are cleared for 110mph so would make sense to have the locos able to the same.
The 92s being limited to 87mph causes issues when they are out of path.
100mph would be good, 110mph better - even if timings remain the same.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,120
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Mk5s are cleared for 110mph so would make sense to have the locos able to the same.
The 92s being limited to 87mph causes issues when they are out of path.
100mph would be good, 110mph better - even if timings remain the same.
Mark 5s may be cleared for 110 mph....but, having ridden over the bogie in one of them from Euston to Edinburgh at 87 mph maximum, I don't think I would want to do it at any higher speed than that! :|
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,889
We might have had 31/4, 37/4 and 47/4, but we also had 45/1 and 27/2 as ETH sub-classes.

99101 onwards would make more sense.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
I’d be very sorry to see the end of the 92s.

Having been refurbished specifically for this purpose, I think it would be a crying shame to see them replaced by 99s.

Fingers crossed this doesn’t happen.

If they are investing and future-proofing the service, then I don't see a reason not to support this.
 

Rail Quest

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2023
Messages
761
Location
Warrington
RETB fitment is easy enough. It's the braking capability that will need some work for that line, bringing a sleeper smoothly down from County March into Fort William is no mean feat, even at 40mph max.
I can't imagine the flakes having worse brakes than a 66, especially given the former has rheostatic braking, something the sheds do not.
 

Bill57p9

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2019
Messages
896
Location
Ayrshire
As long as I can remember the sleepers have always been timed/pathed for a maximum of 80mph on the WCML. In the MK3 days the sleeper could run at up to 100mph if delayed. Obviously today the limiting factor would be the class 92 at 87mph.

North of Edinburgh the current class 66s limit the maximum speed to 75mph.

I take it the proposal is to replace the locos both north and south of the central belt? I.e. 92s, 66s and 73/9s?
 

D1537

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2019
Messages
2,087
Location
North Yorkshire
We might have had 31/4, 37/4 and 47/4, but we also had 45/1 and 27/2 as ETH sub-classes.

99101 onwards would make more sense.
Yes, the only reason the 31/37/47 ETH versions were /4 was a coincidence in that it was the next sub-class available for each of those classes (standard 31s numbered up to 31327, 37s numbered up to 37308, 47s numbered up to 47381).
 

Top