• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 801 announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
28 Nov 2021
Messages
375
Location
Leith
Are the pre-recorded passenger announcements on Class 801 activated automatically or manually? I ask because yesterday evening passengers on 1S23 were told "This train is approaching Haymarket" while it was standing with doors open at Waverley. Did someone press the wrong button, or is it a GPS-based system not "understanding" that Waverley and Haymarket are very close together ?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,519
Location
Northern England
The Passenger Information System (PIS) is the on-board system responsible for these announcements as well as the displays in the carriages. I believe it works automatically by GPS.
As with any computerised system, these are unfortunately not infallible and will sometimes produce nonsense.

I've been on a couple of GWR trains which have been one station out of sync, for example.
 

YorksLad12

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,726
Location
Leeds
I wonder if it's a generic issue with 80x sets? I was on an evening TPE service last month; as we left Leeds we got the "We are now approaching Dewsbury" announcement. As we approached Dewsbury, "The next station is Huddersfield". Very confusing for the occasional traveller in the dark.
 

Dave91131

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2018
Messages
671
There was an issue on LNER Azuma's in the northbound direction up until a couple of weeks back (not sure if it's still ongoing as I haven't travelled since the mask requirement was reintroduced) - "we are now approaching Newark Northgate" was played upon exiting Peascliffe tunnel, which is about 8 mins south of Newark.
 

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Joined
21 Jun 2013
Messages
1,706
these are unfortunately not infallible and will sometimes produce nonsense.
60 years ago we managed to put men on the moon and we are now excusing devices that can't tell if they are in Leeds or Huddersfield. It isn't good enough. There is a culture of expecting inferior performance.
 
Joined
28 Nov 2021
Messages
375
Location
Leith
I wonder if it's a generic issue with 80x sets? I was on an evening TPE service last month; as we left Leeds we got the "We are now approaching Dewsbury" announcement. As we approached Dewsbury, "The next station is Huddersfield". Very confusing for the occasional traveller in the dark.
Given that the GPS in even the cheapest satnav can accurately measure position to within a few metres, this and the similar GWR case mentioned in post #2 suggest that the problem is with over-simple software to choose the announcement e.g. just counting the times the train stopped, without checking where. Or in my original example, recognising that the train was a certain distance from Haymarket without recognising that it was stopped with the doors open at Waverley.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,400
There was an issue on LNER Azuma's in the northbound direction up until a couple of weeks back (not sure if it's still ongoing as I haven't travelled since the mask requirement was reintroduced) - "we are now approaching Newark Northgate" was played upon exiting Peascliffe tunnel, which is about 8 mins south of Newark.
The Newark issue they believe the issue lies with a bug within the TMS, which Hitachi and Lner are working on together.
 

RailWonderer

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2018
Messages
2,219
Location
All around the network
I remember this time two years ago I was on one of the first Azumas and after we left KX, the PIS announced 'We are shortly due to arrive at York', then 'We are shortly due to arrive at Newcastle', then Berwick, Edinburgh, Inverkeithing then Leuchars until the driver cut in and said he would announce them manually and turn off the PIS.
 

Dave91131

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2018
Messages
671
I've also just recalled an issue on the Hull Trains 802's that I heard during November too, in the southbound direction.

"We are now at.. Retford London King's Cross".

"The next stop is.. Grantham London King's Cross".
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,519
Location
Northern England
I've also just recalled an issue on the Hull Trains 802's that I heard during November too, in the southbound direction.

"We are now at.. Retford London King's Cross".

"The next stop is.. Grantham London King's Cross".
Probably missing the recording for "This train terminates at" (or similar)
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,369
I've also just recalled an issue on the Hull Trains 802's that I heard during November too, in the southbound direction.

"We are now at.. Retford London King's Cross".

"The next stop is.. Grantham London King's Cross".
"This is a Hull Trains service to Beverley. Calling at Beverley, Cottingham and Beverley" being another. And also "This is Beverley AND Beverley"!
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
I've also just recalled an issue on the Hull Trains 802's that I heard during November too, in the southbound direction.

"We are now at.. Retford London King's Cross".

"The next stop is.. Grantham London King's Cross".

You've reminded me of when the 387/1s moved to GN. For quite a while some units said "We are now approaching Cambridge North, Gatwick Express."!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top