They were designed to haul heavy coal trains on mountainous lines with gradients of about 2.67% (1 in 35.7) and more, and they coped with this hard task very well. Bulgarian railwaymen gave them nickname "Mother Bear" because they looked fat, clumsy and compact. These engines appear to be the most powerful steam locomotives in Europe. Two of them (46.03 two-cylinder and 46.13 three-cylinder) are preserved. The two-cylinder 46.03 has been restored to working order and ran in steam in May 2015.
Yes it has three different locks, two smaller keys with one slightly larger key for the middle lock. I am starting to feel it’s more document related but I don’t really have any other information other than what the seller told me.It looks like it has three separate locks, with three separate (different?) keys? if so, that implies it perhaps held something that could only be accessed with three relevant people present. Thinking maybe legal documents or something similar, though I can't see how "class 46" would fit with that.
I can't think of anything on a loco that would need that sort of security though. By the era of class 46 diesels, I think lettering would more likely have been stencilled not signwritten.
It does indeed, but the class 46 wouldn’t really make sense in that case nor would the three locks. Most deed boxes have one central lock. You wouldn’t need three locks for a deed box surely.It looks like a Deed Box. Used for storing valuable documents etc.
Maybe seller wasn’t sure what it was so did a google search on ‘class 46’ and found out that was a type of BR loco.It’s a puzzling one, I thought it looked older than the class 46s but I was told by the seller it was something to do with British Rail.
Thank You for the thoughts, much appreciated. I can’t make head nor tail of it, researched online but every avenue conflicts the other.
Quite possibly.Maybe seller wasn’t sure what it was so did a google search on ‘class 46’ and found out that was a type of BR loco.
Then made a big mental leap…
The lettering would be Monotype modern? According to google gives a date anywhere from 1890s to 1970. ♂️Could be a safety deposit box from a bank maybe? The bank would hold one of the keys and the box owner would have the other 2......so one party can't open the box without the other party present.
Not sure about the Class 46 though.....perhaps a storage reference......but the lettering and the apparent age of the box certainly predates the class 46 of the peak variety.
It’s more the method of application of the lettering that looks too old. Not the type face.Quite possibly.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
The lettering would be Monotype modern? According to google gives a date anywhere from 1890s to 1970. ♂️
I think it may be a mystery never to be solved, but I am grateful for everyone’s opinions.
IIRC a tontine featured in Agatha Christie's novel "4.50 from Paddington"One thing the 'Class 46' brings to mind is a tontine - these investment schemes had the participants divided into 'Classes' by age. 'BM' could possibly be the initials of the bank or investment company that oversaw the scheme.
IIRC a tontine featured in Agatha Christie's novel "4.50 from Paddington"
I think you are quite correct, but it would be a shame to allow accurate insurance policy wording to get in the way of a good story! In the 18th century real tontines were sometimes used to fund projects and public works. The Tontine Hotel in Ironbridge was funded in this way. Tontines have long been out of favour in the UK, though some are suggesting a revival. Anyone feel like contributing towards HS2?!I don’t think that the arrangement of the will in 4.50 is actually a tontine, although it is wrongly described as such. A tontine is the basis of the plot in Robert Louis Stevenson and Lloyd Osbourne’s The Wrong Box, which also has an important railway episode.
So the middle lock is slightly larger and therefore the key is slightly bigger. The lock either side of the central lock are the same size but they only unlock one lock each. Therefore all three keys are needed to open the box.I don’t think that the arrangement of the will in 4.50 is actually a tontine, although it is wrongly described as such. A tontine is the basis of the plot in Robert Louis Stevenson and Lloyd Osbourne’s The Wrong Box, which also has an important railway episode.
Though I must agree that something in the legal sphere seems to be a more likely use for the box. Are the three keys all different or can just two, e.g. the middle one and one of the outside ones, open the box? This so that no one person can have access to the contents.
So the middle lock is slightly larger and therefore the key is slightly bigger. The lock either side of the central lock are the same size but they only unlock one lock each. Therefore all three keys are needed to open the box.
I have found a newspaper report of a meeting of the Ancient Order of Foresters in Folkestone in 1910. It is mainly about money, and includes "A new deed box has now been obtained with three different locks and sets of keys, each trustee being supplied with a set." And there are a few advertisements for retail and auction sales that include deed boxes with three locks. Note that a box like that might be used for placing property in safe deposit. In which place the "class" might be anything - so you know which box is which but others seeing it don't.I would therefore guess that three different people would hold the keys so that the box could only be opened in the presence of all of them. Which makes me think it is something to do with legal or trust matters. Could Class have something to do with bonds, shares or the like?
I think you could be onto something here….I have found a newspaper report of a meeting of the Ancient Order of Foresters in Folkestone in 1910. It is mainly about money, and includes "A new deed box has now been obtained with three different locks and sets of keys, each trustee being supplied with a set." And there are a few advertisements for retail and auction sales that include deed boxes with three locks. Note that a box like that might be used for placing property in safe deposit. In which place the "class" might be anything - so you know which box is which but others seeing it don't.
again it appears you could well be correct; Design: These boxes are heavy-duty, usually constructed with black japanned tin or cast iron, and feature a hinged lid and the original key-lock system to restrict unauthorized access to fraternal secrets.Almost certainly a japanned deed box. Three locks means it was probably custom ordered and required three custodians to be present when opening.