• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 150/2 Power / Brake Notch Behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghawk2005

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2021
Messages
31
Location
Plymouth
Class 150/2 Power / Brake Notch Behaviour

This is a question for any drivers or guards out there that may know this. I’m perplexed.

I know power shouldn’t be able to he applied in Brake Notch 2, but can you power up to full power in Brake Step 1 or is it just limited to throttle notch 2 ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.


for those who are curious - I am questioning Rivet’s handy work with their 150 :)

thanks
Gary
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
Class 150/2 Power / Brake Notch Behaviour

This is a question for any drivers or guards out there that may know this. I’m perplexed.

I know power shouldn’t be able to he applied in Brake Notch 2, but can you power up to full power in Brake Step 1 or is it just limited to throttle notch 2 ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.


for those who are curious - I am questioning Rivet’s handy work with their 150 :)

thanks
Gary
You can take more than two power notches whilst the brake is in step one generally.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,335
Location
Glasgow
Class 150/2 Power / Brake Notch Behaviour

This is a question for any drivers or guards out there that may know this. I’m perplexed.

I know power shouldn’t be able to he applied in Brake Notch 2, but can you power up to full power in Brake Step 1 or is it just limited to throttle notch 2 ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.


for those who are curious - I am questioning Rivet’s handy work with their 150 :)

thanks
Gary
You can go right up to full power; that was the original driving technique - hold brake in 1, power to max, release brake and get maximum acceleration. Obviously not very fuel efficient and certainly by 1990 ScotRail (not sure about other regions) had amended their driving instruction to a 0-2-4-7 approach.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,335
Location
Glasgow
I’ve been told off for not notching one at a time before.
Well I was told by a ScotRail driver that when they first got their 170s the official company manual stated they were to be opened notch-by-notch and the next notch not taken until power had settled in the current one.

However, 170s have a fair delay in revving up to each new power setting and particularly when moving from OFF into a power setting and essentially that takes far to long (170s are sluggish enough as it is!). So I understand they just went with the standard 0-3-5-7 and have kept that ever since.

Certainly trips on the E&G when 170s were the staple traction always seemed to adhere to a low-medium-high, that is 3 distinct increases, of power setting in pulling away.

Would a 170 even move on anything other than dead level track or a downgrade in Notch 1 anyway? ;)
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
Well I was told by a ScotRail driver that when they first got their 170s the official company manual stated they were to be opened notch-by-notch and the next notch not taken until power had settled in the current one.

However, 170s have a fair delay in revving up to each new power setting and particularly when moving from OFF into a power setting and essentially that takes far to long (170s are sluggish enough as it is!). So I understand they just went with the standard 0-3-5-7 and have kept that ever since.

Certainly trips on the E&G when 170s were the staple traction always seemed to adhere to a low-medium-high, that is 3 distinct increases, of power setting in pulling away.

Would a 170 even move on anything other than dead level track or a downgrade in Notch 1 anyway? ;)

You don’t need to 3-5-7 on a Cl170 because you won’t get more than notch 5 power below 12mph anyway. You can just go from 3 direct to 7.

Also, they are only particularly slow to react when taking power from off as, like all hydraulics, you have to wait for the transmission to refill before the revs will rise. If you’ve already got a power notch you can increase power more rapidly.

But back to the point about Cl150s; the ability to take power against the brake was to permit hill starts. Modern units with a combined power/brake controller have a hill start button to replicate this feature.
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,200
But back to the point about Cl150s; the ability to take power against the brake was to permit hill starts. Modern units with a combined power/brake controller have a hill start button to replicate this feature.
That's exactly the comment I was going to make.

Who is/are "Rivet"?
 

aw1972

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2020
Messages
49
Location
Slough
That's exactly the comment I was going to make.

Who is/are "Rivet"?
Rivet are Rivet Games who have just released the Class 150/2 as part of their West Cornwall add-on for the Train Sim World 2 videogame
 

Llama

Established Member
Joined
29 Apr 2014
Messages
1,959
Might have missed it but I don't think anyone has said here that a Sprinter unit of any kind won't let you take traction power while the brake is in step 2 (or 3, or emergency). If you already have traction power applied and apply the brake then as soon as you hit brake step 2 it'll knock traction power off.
 

Ghawk2005

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2021
Messages
31
Location
Plymouth
Might have missed it but I don't think anyone has said here that a Sprinter unit of any kind won't let you take traction power while the brake is in step 2 (or 3, or emergency). If you already have traction power applied and apply the brake then as soon as you hit brake step 2 it'll knock traction power off.
Think I put that in my original post but thanks anyway. Good to confirm my thoughts :)
 

Llama

Established Member
Joined
29 Apr 2014
Messages
1,959
Ah yes so you did, apologies - I somehow didn't see/read "able to be".
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,200
Might have missed it but I don't think anyone has said here that a Sprinter unit of any kind won't let you take traction power while the brake is in step 2 (or 3, or emergency). If you already have traction power applied and apply the brake then as soon as you hit brake step 2 it'll knock traction power off.
For some reason I had started to write about the low speed relay, which drops out anywhere above 3mph on Class 156. But you're talking about a different interlocking, one which I can't remember off the top of my head.
 

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
I normally use notch 3 or 4 with the brake in step one on the depot during prep when I'm performing a dynamic cab test and checking that the brakes can be released and power can be taken. In a noisy depot environment it can be difficult to hear the unit is actually taking power if you use a lower notch.

Well I was told by a ScotRail driver that when they first got their 170s the official company manual stated they were to be opened notch-by-notch and the next notch not taken until power had settled in the current one.

However, 170s have a fair delay in revving up to each new power setting and particularly when moving from OFF into a power setting and essentially that takes far to long (170s are sluggish enough as it is!). So I understand they just went with the standard 0-3-5-7 and have kept that ever since.
From what I've seen and heard both on this forum and talking to ScotRail drivers, their driving policies are a lot more detailed and strict about how exactly they want their trains to be driven compared to other TOCs.
 

Efini92

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,139
I normally use notch 3 or 4 with the brake in step one on the depot during prep when I'm performing a dynamic cab test and checking that the brakes can be released and power can be taken. In a noisy depot environment it can be difficult to hear the unit is actually taking power if you use a lower notch.


From what I've seen and heard both on this forum and talking to ScotRail drivers, their driving policies are a lot more detailed and strict about how exactly they want their trains to be driven compared to other TOCs.
Just out of interest, how come you use power notch 4 to see if power can be obtained?
 

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
And then there's the joy of driving a 150/2 with a Perkins engined 158 on the back, where the notches below 5 are essentially useless. Especially fun at this time of year.....
 

Efini92

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,139
That depends where you are. On hilly parts of the network, notch 4 or even 5 are required just to gain forward momentum.
Actually I misread what was posted. I thought the 3 represented the brake handle.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top