• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas trains on Heritage Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

341o2

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2011
Messages
2,014
Swanage railway Winter Warmer December 28. Four locos scheduled, 33111, d6515, 30120 and 34072. Decorations at stations and in some of the carriages
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianigsy

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2015
Messages
1,348
KWVR run services Boxing day to New Years Day. Boxing day generally a 6 coach train is standing room only!

Yes, it's become a bit of a ritual for me on the weekend between Christmas and New Year along with spending rather too much in the shop at Haworth. If nothing else, it provides a weatherproof day out for people who may have family staying over the Christmas period and restless children. Not forgetting that the KWVR also run a DMU in the "opposite" diagram to the Santa Specials for locals and casual visitors to Haworth.
 

daveo

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2015
Messages
237
The ELR also has a "normal tickets" coach on each Santa train - the first one, next to the loco, on departure from Bury.
 

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,489
Location
Powys
As a general point, I do wonder why more places don't open in this period. Christmas being family time is great but after 3 or 4 days , I am climbing the walls to go out. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I think this is why 'the sales' are so popular ; I mean, people don't really enjoy shopping, do they ?

I suspect the reason is that they can't find the volunteers to do it. I know that is the problem we have.
 

E759

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2017
Messages
683
Location
Sussex
The ELR also has a "normal tickets" coach on each Santa train - the first one, next to the loco, on departure from Bury.
Can’t see any mention of that on the ELR website. What ticket is required and how can it be purchased.
 

E759

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2017
Messages
683
Location
Sussex
There's also (possibly uniquely?) a dining train on Christmas Day itself, with standard class accommodation on the second round trip traditionally available for locals to have a ride out too.
Kent & East Sussex Railway are running the Wealden Pullman on Christmas Day.
 

daveo

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2015
Messages
237
Normal range of tickets from booking offices and TTIs
(NB this is in no way an official ELR response)
 

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,778
Location
Newport, South Wales
I travelled on both the South Devon and the Dartmouth Steam Railways last week as planned, and here are a few notes of both journeys.

South Devon Railway
This was last Thursday, but because Cross Country delivered me late to Totnes, I wasn't able to make a return journey as I missed the last round trip train from Totnes. The train was hauled by GWR / LT 0-6-0PT L92, which was the only loco in steam on the day. It was a pleasant journey up the valley and very enjoyable.

However, as there was no return service, I had to get the bus back to Totnes which in turn meant that I couldn't have much of a look around the station complex at Buckfastleigh. It means, of course, that I'll have to go back …. a hard job, but someone's got to do it!

Dartmouth Steam Railway
This was on Friday, and as the services were on time, I was able to have a return journey and plenty of time at both ends of the line. Most of the services were hauled by BR Standard 4MT 75014 (named 'Braveheart'), and again the journey was very pleasant. I spent a little time in Dartmouth and returned back to Paignton and then back to Totnes.

The stock being used for the normal services was also used for the 'Train of Lights' in the evening. The illuminations are strings of light cable fixed on the sides of the carriages and the locos. The power comes from a large generator in the luggage compartment - there are actually two of them, but the second is a back up in case of a problem. There are also quite a few illuminated models of Christmas trees etc. along the side of the line.

On my return to Paignton, I noted that Class 37 No. 6975 was growling away to itself on the adjacent line and was connected to some carriages. I thought that I would stay to see what was going to happen, and I'm glad that I did, as it was quite interesting. Firstly, 75014 uncoupled from the train and drew forward to take water, after which she reversed back down the middle road and halted. The station shunter (Class 03 No. 03371) then went on the rear of the train that I'd arrived on and pushed the stock down the platform; it them went back to the siding next to the shed. 75014 then pulled forward, reversed back to 6975, drew it and three coaches forward over the level crossing at the south end of the station, and finally reversed back into the platform, where the whole train was formed.

The final movement was that the whole train left on the 15.15 train to Kingswear, with 75014 working hard and 6975 growling away as well. There didn't seem to be many people on the train, but this was obviously different for the next journey from Paignton, which was the first of the 'Train of Lights' services. I was back in Totnes by then, though, so I didn't see it, but I'm sure that it looked quite spectacular.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top