• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changed trip/holiday plans due to rail strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,054
Location
St Albans
I would guess try and board near the front, as there might be more seats there (using the assumption that some passengers are a bit lazy and will board the first available door at the terminus station).

There are some nice bus routes in Cornwall, over areas not served by the trains, I'm sure you will make the most of that day bus ticket.
Thanks but actually I'm in St Ives now so will be returning to Paddington, boarding at St Erth. Given that is the first stop out of Penzance, I would imagine that we will be ahead of the main rush at Truro, St Austell, Par and Liskeard.
If reservations are held then we're in car D.

I'm looking at the buses, and the L5 from St Ives to Helston looks interesting, and assuming the weather is kind to us, the 'Lands End Coaster' should be a good ride and very handy.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisC

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2018
Messages
2,266
Location
Nottinghamshire
Now almost 4 weeks on from when I began this thread there is still so much uncertainty. The first series of strikes have taken place, no more have yet been announced, but more could be announced at any time with only 14 days notice. For people using the railway for leisure purposes, for short breaks or longer holidays, it is a big disincentive for using the railways. Usually at this time of year I would have made plans and already have a number of hotel bookings for right through summer and into the autumn. Having really enjoyed a holiday last week in Wiltshire, travelling down by car and using buses whilst there, I’m already starting to plan further trips which don’t include relying on rail travel. Having spent a number of years, leaving my car at home, travelling by train and using regional rovers, I’m actually finding it quite a change. I’ve already booked a few days in North Yorkshire, near Ripon, and intend to visit Fountains Abbey, Newby Hall and Ripley Castle. These are all places that would not have been accessible by train and I wouldn’t have planned to visit. These are all within a few miles of where I will be staying rather than travelling longer distances by train. I have always had a big interest in rail travel but I am already enjoying the freedom of being able to stay in more remote places not near a station and doing more walking than travelling by train. The continuing uncertainty over the reliability of rail travel does not do the railways any favours.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,836
Location
Nowhere Heath
Got to agree with you there, I'd love to be in a position where I can plan my next adventures with confidence. I've had to resort to only booking train tickets with short notice, preferably avoiding any need to stay somewhere overnight, and only book trains if I cannot avoid them. That is, find alternative plans that leave the railway out of it all and focus on other stuff.

I suspect plenty of us have had similar experiences to yourself, discovering adventures they'd not normally have considered. I know I'm finding plenty of joy in not using the railway much now, and I honestly don't see how long the industry can afford to keep losing passenger numbers. The more of us who realise 'hold on, there's a better way to travel on holiday' the less people there will be on trains on a regular basis.

I am still holding out hope that I will get to plan a proper bike touring holiday in Anglia soon, using the trains to position to/from Hereford and some of them while over there. With uncertainty over strikes though, is it worth the aggro? Perhaps not.
 

ChrisC

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2018
Messages
2,266
Location
Nottinghamshire
This thread really does paint a dire picture. I don’t think things are all as doom and gloom as you lot seem to.
It’s not really a matter of being doom and gloom and I think for unplanned day trips out by train things are perfectly ok.
However, if you normally use the train for going away on holiday and like to plan well in advance that is the problem. With the uncertainty over train travel it means booking hotels at a more expensive flexible rate which can be cancelled at the last minute. The other alternative is leaving the booking until the last minute which can result in even higher prices or no availability.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,822
Location
West of Andover
Especially as I've noticed some hotels increasing the premium paid between a fixed rate & flexible rates (Easy Hotel in Ipswich springs to mind when I was searching for dates yesterday).

At least with advance tickets they can be refunded, all be as website credit, so not all is lost if you need to change plans due to strike action (although if there is strike action, chances are the original booking will be available to get a cash refund). I've certainly changed from more longer distance trips which involve overnight stays and advance tickets to more day trips from home, I think the only advance tickets I've got currently booked is a trip to/from Doncaster next weekend for the BLS tour.
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
I usually use trains for city to city trips as it saves on parking, however with the uncertainty I'm more likely to be using my car and park outside before getting the bus in.

The railway industry forgets most people have cars and will use them as an alternative damaging the rail industry.

If there is another strike next time I go to London, I would most likely to go by coach overnight or drive early in the morning to park outside then either tube or bus it in.

Increased car ownership has weakened the rail industry, the strikes didn't have the same impact it would have had in 70s, 80s and just maybe the 90s, definitely not in 2000 onward.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top