• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caught using a 60+ Oyster card – looking for advice

charlotte2026

New Member
Joined
4 Oct 2026
Messages
2
Location
baker street station
Last week, I was stopped by a TfL staff member after using a 60+ Oyster card. As far as I remember, I was stopped when leaving the station. I’m not even sure whether the staff member had actually seen card or contactless I was using. When he asked me about it, I handed him the Oyster card and said that it was my father’s and that I had taken it by mistake.

In reality, the card belongs to a friend and had been with me for the past few months, during which I had been using it. I was in a rush to get to work at the time, so I honestly don’t remember exactly what I said during the conversation.

To be honest, I didn’t realise how serious the consequences of using someone else’s 60+ Oyster card could be. I only knew that travelling without a valid ticket could result in a fine. At the time, I was simply trying to save some money. I earn close to minimum wage in London, work over 40 hours a week, including weekends, and I was exhausted.

Now that this has happened, I have looked into it and realised that it could be much more serious than I initially thought. I’m extremely anxious about the situation.

I’ve read quite a few posts where people received a warning letter or avoided prosecution, but many of those cases seemed to involve circumstances such as mental health issues, being very young, or pregnancy. I don’t feel that I have any similarly compelling circumstances, which makes me even more worried.

I’m now considering instructing a solicitor to deal with this properly. I understand that it will cost money, but after reading so many posts, I honestly don’t feel that I have enough knowledge to deal with this on my own.

Some of the posts on this forum have already been very helpful. If anyone has any advice, particularly from people who have been through a similar situation, I would really appreciate it. I’ll also update this post as things progress. Thank you guys.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
TfL take misuse of free travel cards seriously (which is why you weren't given a Penalty Fare on the spot) BUT their standard approach is to prosecute you under the Byelaws for travelling without a valid ticket on the ONE occasion when you were caught.
From their point of view it's a slam-dunk route to a conviction BUT it would be for the lowest available level of offence so unlikely to be career-threatening, especially for someone in a minimum-wage job.
 

charlotte2026

New Member
Joined
4 Oct 2026
Messages
2
Location
baker street station
TfL take misuse of free travel cards seriously (which is why you weren't given a Penalty Fare on the spot) BUT their standard approach is to prosecute you under the Byelaws for travelling without a valid ticket on the ONE occasion when you were caught.
From their point of view it's a slam-dunk route to a conviction BUT it would be for the lowest available level of offence so unlikely to be career-threatening, especially for someone in a minimum-wage job.
Unlikely to be career-threatening, that's even hurt more, LOL
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,356
You should look at TfL's policy if you have not already seen it - it includes the sort of areas of mitigation that they would likely consider:


In case of help to you a couple of TFL cases to look over

With outcome at court set out
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/freedom-pass-misuse-requisition-to-attend-court.297308/page-2

TfL cased that got resolved without the use of a solicitor:
EG see post 40

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/caught-using-younger-brothers-11-15-zip-card.300887/page-2


If you want to engage a solicitor then probably best to use one of the firms that get mentioned on here with a track record in fares evasion work including TfL related situations
 

Top