Shrop
Established Member
- Joined
- 6 Aug 2019
- Messages
- 1,357
I would certainly support increasing the Marches service, but the Crewe-Shrewsbury stopper doesn't need to serve Wrenbury, Prees and Yorton every hour, the present two-hourly pattern for those stations is plenty, as even at that they stop on request only. But for Nantwich and Whitchurch, yes an hourly service would be welcomed, and probably for Wem too. South of Shrewsbury, once again I would support a more frequent service.I did wonder whether the Crewe Shrewsbury stopper should be hourly, but I don't know the route well enough.
I've played with a draft timetable having read comments on this thread over the last few days, and having had an initial stab at post #54, I would offer a new draft as below. This provides a Liverpool to Newport train via Chester instead of Crewe, it terminates at Newport in order to make fewer demands on train paths between Newport and Cardiff, and to allow trainsets to turn round more quickly. This recognises that there are numerous onward connections to Cardiff.
This draft offers an hourly train from Manchester to Cardiff, one semi-fast which continues to Milford Haven, and one fast stopping only at Crewe, Shrewsbury, Hereford and Newport. (Stockport and Wilmslow are omitted but could be reinstated). Once every two hours would be a train from Holyhead to Cardiff, an all stations stopper running Crewe to Newport, and a train from Liverpool which again could run only as far as Newport, but on to Cardiff if paths and stock permit.
The stations along the route would get 1tp2h (train per 2 hours) at Wrenbury, Prees and Yorton as above. 2tp2h at Nantwich, Whitchurch, Wem, Church Stretton, Craven Arms, Leominster and Pontypool. 4tp2h at Ludlow, Abergavenny and Cwmbran, and 5tph at Crewe, Shrewsbury, Hereford and Newport.
Compiling this is quite a challenge and there are shortfalls such as no through trains from some stations north of Ludlow to Cardiff, but every change to this draft means that something else is compromised. So this draft which shows a two hour weekday period (with the first train repeated 2 hours later) is just for fun, but I'm open to comments ...