I work highly antisocial hours on a 24/7 railway roster, living in a big town otherwise located in the middle of the countryside, with absolutely no zero guaranteed public transport between 1am and 5am. Sometimes we have staff trains or empty stock, as one might expect a traditional railwayman to get to work once upon a time, but sometimes not.
Despite this, I am not currently running a car (I have a vehicle but it needs restoration) and it turns out more efficient to get a taxi to a station with a good overnight service to my workplace(s). My taxi bill isn't even close to triple figures most months, and my vehicle costs virtually nothing where it is currently.
Because there is no local overnight public transit, the local taxi companies do an astoundingly good trade, and can be the only car traffic seen at times on Friday and Saturday nights.
So, for work, I deal with a combination of trains and taxis, learning all the tricks as best I can. It wasn't an especially steep learning curve, and rarely fails. I haven't been able to get to work 3 times in circumstances which my employer agreed on, driven in a sum total of 2 times, and been late only due to issues outside what could be deemed to be reasonable forward planning. I've been working in the same area for several years without issue.
However, there are some big downsides, and for which reasons I am planning to drive a normal(ish) car around more regularly in future. Firstly, a number of my friends and family are increasingly organising events and other social stuff in areas for which public transport is rather impractical, and doesn't offer a turn-up-and-go service. If we decide to meet up at a lot of local places, I could do a public transport journey fine with a lot of planning, but not if they ring up half an hour beforehand. This is, unfortunately, really quite awkward and annoying.
Secondly, the local trains are not amazingly reliable all the time, and there's only so many delays "beyond my control" beyond the point where my employer and I have to look at it objectively and agree that it's not feasible, even if it's not my fault and they don't knock my performance for it.
Thirdly, my local town centre has undergone loads of changes, making it less easy to walk for even short distances to local public transport hubs. Compared to getting in a car, a 15 minute walk vice what used to take 8-10 minutes is healthier, sure, but a chunk at the start and end of my shift at work which could be avoided.
I dislike using less safe, less efficient and more polluting alternatives, wherever I have a choice, and for my most of my journeys up to now, this has included car use. But now, reasonably, it is foolish not to consider that option.
When self-driving cars and pod-like public transport systems become a reality in my bit of the UK, I think that they could be a good option for some of my needs. I really do think that sort of stuff is well on its way in, and here to stay, but it won't be ready for a few years yet, for certain. Until then, the conventional car may have to end up parked on my driveway.
I assume that you have not seen the annual handbook of the National Trust in recent years, as there is no longer the section in each entry that gives advice on how to get there by all modes of transport.
On the example of Little Moreton Hall that my posting alluded to, even the web page for that site makes no mention of how to get there.
So you tell me, what bus passes that National Trust property or failing that, what is the nearest bus stop in the surrounding area to it and the subsequent walking distance
Interestingly, some of the more popular National Trust sites and properties are now opting to run their own minibus services to get people there from conventional public transport routes, or park and ride sites. This is sometimes not well-publicised in their nationally-distributed materials, but it is good to see.
As it happens, I really don't enjoy most bus journeys - I find them to usually be a relatively slow and uncomfortable way of travelling, even on more upmarket vehicles - but on the odd occasion when it is genuinely the most efficient way of doing things, I will use them. Dedicated park and ride infrastructure, or anything which is likely to beat traffic queues, would probably top that list. Sadly, in my local area, neither of those things apply.
I live in a hamlet a few miles outside of Norwich. It does have a bus service, better than many, but its still only 1 bus every 2 hours with a late start and early finish.
I've just tried 3 trips;
Home - supermarket: car 10m, bus, 45m
Home - work: car 5m, bus 40m (not that I could use it for any of my shifts anyway)
Home - model shop: car 15m, bus 1hr
I don't live far from a fairly big city. Those are just not practical in any way for day to day living. So, I need some milk, that's almost a 3 hour trip on the bus, 30m max in a car.
Public transport is just not practical and soon as you are in an even slightly rural area.
As it coincidentally just so happens, I believe I know the area in which you live quite well! I know a fair number of people living around there in small villages (and the middle of nowhere in its purest form!). Some of them quite enjoy having a chat with their friends on the (free, for the older ones) bus into town, and like the direct option from a surprising range of nearby bus stops, but I agree, it's not especially efficient.
Cycling still allows a great deal of personal freedom (and it's quicker than driving in many cities, hence its recent growth as a mode for "serious" trips). TfGM have set a target of 10% of journeys to be made by bike in 2025 for example. Cycling is of course less competitive against the car or train for interurban trips.
I used to commute to college, and then by bike around Central London. I loved it, although I used the Boris Bikes most of the time, which are quite heavy and tiring if you like to build up speed and ride with the traffic.
I couldn't commute to work at the moment as I'd be riding a fairly long way, including a long slog uphill, and we don't have showers at work, and I need to be presentable and not too tired, right from the word go. I did do a couple of dummy runs, but it was no fun. It would also involve crossing a couple of motorway sliproads for which there is no alternative. I may have ridden down Tottenham Court Road and Euston Road more times than I care to mention, but London's motorway junctions are something else entirely...