• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I extend or do I need an extra ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

muug1982

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2010
Messages
115
Hope someone can help me with this.

I've got an anytime return ticket from Luton Airport Parkway to Market Harborough (£39), I'm intending to use the return portion next Wednesday evening, however I now need to start the journey from Harpenden. Do I need to buy a single ticket to cover the extra distance, or can I extend the existing ticket (the price looks the same if I'd have bought it to Harpenden originally).

Does either method restrict where I can change trains?
Are there any evening peak restrictions on the Harpenden - Luton section?

Thanks in advance
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
You just need to purchase an over-distance excess for the return portion of your ticket as Harpenden-Market Harborough. As it's an anytime ticket there are no time restrictions, and it won't cost you a penny for the supplement as the fares are the same.

You do need to purchase this for travel from Harpenden as the Luton-Market Harborough is not valid from Harpenden. You will need a booking office or on board crew to issue this, booking office is preferred if available.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
As Mumrar says! But, in addition...
Does either method restrict where I can change trains?
If you use a combination of tickets then either the train(s) must call at the station you change from one ticket to the next, or the tickets must be zonal, or one must be a season and the other(s) not. So, if you bought a separate ticket to Luton Airport Parkway you would not be allowed on a train that did not call there. (You'll struggle to get a train from Harpenden that goes non-stop through Luton Airport Parkway though! ;))

Sometimes using a combination of tickets is cheaper, but in this case it isn't.
Are there any evening peak restrictions on the Harpenden - Luton section?

Thanks in advance
on what ticket?

In any case you have an Anytime Return (SOR) which is valid at any time.

If you do this journey again, I would recommend buying to Harpenden (and finish short on your outward), because it saves potential hassle with getting an excess.

A significant minority of ticket office staff do not know how to do excesses, sometimes they admit that, and other times excuses are invented as to why you can't get one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top