• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can AZTEC (e-)tickets be CCST (Credit card sized tickets)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,289
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
We were the only TOC still using it and one of our suppliers wanted an stupid amount to continue them ans as they served no purpose we stopped

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

understood, although in the first post I make that point and suggest that the valid until date could easily fit underneath the Aztec code. There is so much free space.

A few people have suggested that not everything would fit on a credit card sized ticket.

I understand this point of view.

But the railway is already printing full Aztec codes in a way that they would fit on a credit card size ticket, and all the other information could fit on it too, if just the valid until date were moved to beneath the Aztec code.

I’m happy to leave this here, but just to conclude – my question was simply raised because I felt able to fold my ticket in such a way that everything needed to be seen could fit into a credit card size ticket.

Agreed not the valid until date, but there is enough free space for this to appear beneath the Aztec code.

Nothing I’ve seen above explains to me why this couldn’t be offered on a credit size ticket for the passenger benefit.

The Aztec code on my ticket scanned repeatedly successfully

I also wondered if any focus groups had been consulted as to whether there was specifically a passenger desire for PRT tickets to be larger than credit card sized.

Thank you for all your input, it’s all been interesting.
PRT is moving to a smaller format and yes focus groups were involved , remember PRT has been around for the best part of 10 years.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

saismee

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2023
Messages
1,747
Location
UK
Nothing I’ve seen above explains to me why this couldn’t be offered on a credit size ticket for the passenger benefit.

The Aztec code on my ticket at the size printed scanned repeatedly successfully
While I agree from the image posted, does it remain true for ToD Advance tickets? That's likely the problem.

I also wondered if any focus groups had been consulted as to whether there was specifically a passenger desire for PRT tickets to be larger than credit card sized.
To be honest, it's probably just some standard size paper roll that the supplier sells and it was the cheapest option. I doubt much thought went into whether it'd fit into card slots, though maybe they should've put a little bit more thought in! It's a bit silly that they're so fragile (one awkward crease and it'll take a few attempts to scan) and there's no good solution for storing them (with things that a passenger would already own).

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

PRT is moving to a smaller format and yes focus groups were involved , remember PRT has been around for the best part of 10 years.
Are these the white ones? I don't think they fit into card slots still (but I may be mistaken as I haven't used one - please correct me!).
 

saismee

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2023
Messages
1,747
Location
UK
Nonsense - they fit in both the railcard wallet and the normal wallet that I carry.
I should've said there's no good solution for storing them while keeping them fully visible for presentation. I suppose you could store it in a wallet where cash would normally go, as a lot of people don't carry any cash anymore.

It is also not as good for storing a big stack of tickets. Complex splits on long journeys can be up to 20 tickets with multiple people (families) and reservations - mind you, a bit more of a niche situation but it's certainly one I've been in. It's much easier to keep a stack of CCST tickets (paper or card) neat than the larger PRT tickets.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

No, white is out ,they’re moving to a smaller orange border.Its impossible to fit everything onto a CCST size patch, but this new format is 1/3 smaller than now
Trimley station has just moved from CCST to white PRTs which seem smaller than the orange ones you refer to. Guards print the tickets on the orange rolls, it's all inconsistent.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,825
I should've said there's no good solution for storing them while keeping them fully visible for presentation.
But a railcard wallet does allow that. What I do for longer journeys where I know the ticket might be visually inspected is stick the barcode end of the ticket in the end "pocket" and then fold the wallet. You just have to open the wallet to show the full ticket, or partly open it to scan the barcode. For split tickets you end up shuffling the pack just as you would with CCST.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
Given Aztec coded tickets are now the norm is there any particular reason why Aztec tickets bought at the station cannot be credit card sized?
Well, they can as per the picture I posted previously; post linked below - but the reply to my post suggests it's not very widespread and isn't being continued...

 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,825
Well, they can as per the picture I posted previously; post linked below - but the reply to my post suggests it's not very widespread and isn't being continued...

As stated above, that's the wrong type of barcode.
 

saismee

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2023
Messages
1,747
Location
UK
But a railcard wallet does allow that. What I do for longer journeys where I know the ticket might be visually inspected is stick the barcode end of the ticket in the end "pocket" and then fold the wallet. You just have to open the wallet to show the full ticket, or partly open it to scan the barcode. For split tickets you end up shuffling the pack just as you would with CCST.
Hadn't thought about storing them folded like that! Still a bit more trouble than CCST tickets and I can imagine they'll only cause more slowdowns. At least they'll actually get accepted once scanned, rather than randomly getting rejected. I'm certainly in the group that has jumped to e-tickets where available, and will be using contactless for cross-London journeys.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top