• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus driver dies after incident at Elgin bus station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
15 Sep 2019
Messages
734
Location
Back in Geordieland!
Which posts have disappointed you? The general concensus seems to be that the accused deserved everything that was coming.


As a matter of interest, how is your own local police force performing where anti-social behaviour is concerned? I'm guessing that it will be as stretched as every other police service in the UK.
The " whataboutery" that went on unchecked post after post on the day this was reported about crime levels, the " bad luck on both sides" post , Jesus wept.

Those are the posts I find disappointing but not surprising for here.

You aren't concerned, as matter of interest in how my local police force is performing where antisocial behaviour is concerned,you are looking to score points.

Scoring points on a thread about a man being killed at work.

Again, disappointing but not surprising.


The word "they" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. It's all well and good criticising the police etc. when the bus company does bugger all to ensure that its bus station has a member of staff on duty when buses are running. Elgin hasn't traditionally had anyone on the platform beyond office hours, but the bus station in Aberdeen used to have a kiosk that was available for enquiries when the office was closed.

Pubs and clubs are expected to have security staff after a certain time of day as part of their licensing obligations; why is there no obligation for Stagecoach to do the same?

I'm not suggesting that a member of staff in a kiosk should have to tackle a group of people whose intention is to cause trouble, but at least there would be eyes on the ground and, if there's sufficient cause for concern, they'd relay relevant information to the police if there are any signs of trouble.
Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me?

The " they " I was refering to, in response to the article, was clearly the bus company.

Yet somehow you have missed that in your desperate need to score points.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2012
Messages
1,863
I would prefer that, before he does any more damage, he turns his life around and becomes a useful member of society; That may however be a forlorn hope. But the issue of anti-social behaviour, on public transport and elsewhere, clearly deserves more attention.
One can hope, and I’d love to be proved wrong, but I expect the more likely outcome is an early release for good behaviour and subsequent wearing of their ‘time inside’ as a badge of honour.
 

Eyersey468

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2018
Messages
2,605
One can hope, and I’d love to be proved wrong, but I expect the more likely outcome is an early release for good behaviour and subsequent wearing of their ‘time inside’ as a badge of honour.
That's my suspicion too
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,894
Location
South Wales
I do wonder how any bus drivers reading this feel. They have to put up with so much, especially on lates, and especially with ferals such as the one mentioned here. It seems there is little to no support from the police when issues occur.
Hopefully, behind the scenes, a lot is being done to support and reassure drivers at Elgin. I reckon i’d find it incredibly difficult to go to work if a colleague had been murdered while working. Especially if some of those passengers on their bus may be friends or family of the vile specimen who committed this crime.

It’s a shame that the police and other authorities often tend to just be reactive rather than proactive when it comes to anti-social behaviour, especially relating to youths. It’s brushed off as ‘kids will be kids’ until they seriously assault or kill someone. This country has a real problem with this.
I've had a incident recently where someone attacked me in work in Swansea. Police arrested them. I refused to work after that took bus to depot then went home as I don't come to work to be attacked.

Lately the issues I've found have been with older or middle aged people the youths who travel on our buses are usually pretty well behaved probably because they know us drivers who do the lates
 

alex397

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2017
Messages
2,037
Location
UK
.

Lately the issues I've found have been with older or middle aged people the youths who travel on our buses are usually pretty well behaved probably because they know us drivers who do the lates
Yes, I do think generally young generations today are actually better than the past.
 
Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2011
Messages
2,576
Location
England
If the company do one, which many don't bother with.
Indeed although I have 2 (one for my day job, one for my volunteer work, neither of which I will detail on here) which are both enhanced checks.

I would prefer that, before he does any more damage, he turns his life around and becomes a useful member of society; That may however be a forlorn hope.
I would prefer that outcome too and it can be done but somehow I suspect it may not happen. At the end of the day it depends on how things are at home and what goes on at home but it can be done and we can only hope that he will improve. Anyway back to the topic...

Dave
 

philthetube

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2016
Messages
4,195
One can hope, and I’d love to be proved wrong, but I expect the more likely outcome is an early release for good behaviour and subsequent wearing of their ‘time inside’ as a badge of honour.
killing an old man is not generally considered an honourable crime among thieves.
 
Joined
15 Sep 2019
Messages
734
Location
Back in Geordieland!
killing an old man is not generally considered an honourable crime among thieves.
Mr Rollison was 58, hardly an old man.

Mind, I am in my 60s and don't consider myself an old man.

This youths version of events with his peers will be significantly diifferent to the reality.

Were it my company I would ban him for life, yet when he is released drivers who knew Mr Rollinson will be expected to ferry him about for free.
 
Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,175
Location
Elginshire
The " whataboutery" that went on unchecked post after post on the day this was reported about crime levels, the " bad luck on both sides" post , Jesus wept.
This is incredibly vague. If you disagree with a particular post, please use the quote facility and add your reply below.

This youths version of events with his peers will be significantly diifferent to the reality.
Perhaps. The only people who knew exactly what happened that night are those who were there and were able to give an eyewitness account. It has already been established that the perpetrator was intoxicated and there's a fair chance that his friends were too, so I agree that their account of events may be skewed. However, we cannot rely on other eyewitness accounts being 100% accurate, either.

Were it my company I would ban him for life, yet when he is released drivers who knew Mr Rollinson will be expected to ferry him about for free.
This is not necessarily the case. May I refer you to Stagecoach's Conditions of Carriage?

3) Conduct of passengers​


We reserve the right to refuse you entry, or require you to leave our buses or premises at any time, should we have reason to believe that your behaviour jeopardises the safety, security and comfort of others.

When travelling with us you must in particular:
  • refrain from smoking either conventional or electronic cigarettes
  • behave in a manner that is not abusive or threatening and does not cause offence to other customers or staff

See also:

General information​

  • Travel using a National Entitlement Card is subject to the normal regulations and conditions of carriage of each transport operator.

There's no obligation to carry the perpetrator, free of charge or otherwise, once he has been released.

I think it's about time that we acknowleged the fact that Stagecoach manages the bus station in Elgin and if there is a problem with antisocial behaviour, it should shoulder some of the responsibility for ensuring that the premises are safe - it is private property after all. It's all well and good crying about police not being around but they're not psychic. People often moan about anti-social behaviour, but how many actually report it? If it's not reported, nothing will ever be done.
 
Joined
15 Sep 2019
Messages
734
Location
Back in Geordieland!
This is incredibly vague. If you disagree with a particular post, please use the quote facility and add your reply below.
It's clearly not vague,just look at the first page, but since you seem determined to push the straw man arguement, posts 5,9,10,12,15,18,20,22,23,24.

In any case, what I am disappointed but not surprised with is entirely subjective.

I waited until the trial conviction and sentencing was completed despite having very strong opinions on a fellow drivers death.

Within a few hours of this mans death, people lining up to tell drivers how it's no worse than ever.

My reference to the youths version of events was I response to the post I quoted, you seem to have missed that point entirely.

I am well aware that bus companies can refuse travel, the point is that they won't.

I am aware of this because I have worked for them and driven many thousands of miles, over 20 years, in service.
 
Last edited:

175mph

On Moderation
Joined
25 Jan 2016
Messages
715
Mr Rollison was 58, hardly an old man.

Mind, I am in my 60s and don't consider myself an old man.

This youths version of events with his peers will be significantly diifferent to the reality.

Were it my company I would ban him for life, yet when he is released drivers who knew Mr Rollinson will be expected to ferry him about for free.
I'm not trying to be funny here, but if I was one of those drivers, I'd resign on the spot before I'd let him on any bus of mine. If he then had the audacity to spout out a sob story about how his life is ruined by being denied bus travel, I'm a changed person I'll be better from now on etc etc I would point out how he's ruined others lives, bottom line play stupid games, deal with the stupid prizes that come later with it.
 
Joined
15 Sep 2019
Messages
734
Location
Back in Geordieland!
You mean "subjective": it's your opinion, others may disagree and there's no evidence either way as to what's going on in other people's heads, or why, other than what they say.
Aye, you are right, cheers.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I'm not trying to be funny here, but if I was one of those drivers, I'd resign on the spot before I'd let him on any bus of mine. If he then had the audacity to spout out a sob story about how his life is ruined by being denied bus travel, I'm a changed person I'll be better from now on etc etc I would point out how he's ruined others lives, bottom line play stupid games, deal with the stupid prizes that come later with it.
Indeed. I refused travel for a year to 2 youths who had spat on me, manager told me I had to carry them as being spat on was part of the job, if I didn't like it, leave.

So I left.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top