• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bruges by train in the year 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
19 Jul 2023
Messages
342
Location
Milton Keynes
Having a turn out I've come across a Connex Train Times leaflet for September 1999 to May 2000.

I probably acquired it as I see that I could have gone to Brighton direct from MK. Or I could "Take off to Gatwick" for £16.90 from MK.

But what interested me was a full page advert "Bruges by Train from London" - "Take advantage of our fantastic 3 day offer of a combined rail and Hoverspeed ticket from London to the picturesque Belgian city of Bruges".

Adult return was £29, child 12-15 was £18 and for a 4-11 year old it was £15.

Can anyone remember what ports Hoverspeed used for this service? Was it Dover-Ostend?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,307
Hoverspeed towards the end got into an arrangement with a high speed catamaran operator, which did indeed for a short period run Dover to Ostend. Nothing to do with the hovercraft, which only ever ran to Calais and Boulogne. The catamarans had previously run from Ramsgate to Ostend, but the transfer allowed the use of Hoverspeed's arrangements at Dover. I think by this time the traditional Belgian ferries had already given up at Dover.
 

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,190
Location
Wilmslow
Hoverspeed, under Sea Containers ownership, ran SeaCats Dover - Ostend from 1998 to 2003. They are not to be confused with the earlier Jetfoil services operated by RMT.

The conventional RMT ferries transfered from Dover to Ramsgste in 1993, finishing completely in 1997.
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,441
Hoverspeed towards the end got into an arrangement with a high speed catamaran operator, which did indeed for a short period run Dover to Ostend. Nothing to do with the hovercraft, which only ever ran to Calais and Boulogne. The catamarans had previously run from Ramsgate to Ostend, but the transfer allowed the use of Hoverspeed's arrangements at Dover. I think by this time the traditional Belgian ferries had already given up at Dover.
In September 2000, I booked a ticket on the catamaran from Dover to Ostend. It was cancelled because of high winds near Ostend. I was rebooked on a Dover-Calais ferry with a coach on to Ostend. The hovercraft were still running from Dover.

The ferry and coach was a bit slower, but not by much. I was picking up a new car from a Ford dealer in Ostend, and I still got there in time.
 

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2017
Messages
3,186
Location
Way on down South London town
Was this the Connex leaflet with the class 365 on the front? If so I remember picking up that exact same leaflet as a 5 year old at Balham station. From childhood to adolescence I was obsessed with “leaflets” you’d find at train stations.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top