• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

big operators selling their own tickets: is this a problem elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyLandy

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2011
Messages
1,323
Location
Southampton, UK
And even the UK is getting there. We now have The Key in Southampton, so my annual season ticket is now a smartcard. Paper tickets are still available on the bus, but the smartcard solutions are invariably more cost-effective.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
10 Mar 2013
Messages
1,010
<snip> Day tickets also prolong the undesirable situation of everyone paying the driver in cash, making bus journeys even more tedious than they need to be.

except of course in arriva land where day tickets, weekly tickets and monthly tickets can be paid for on your debit / credit card via the e-ticket application on a smartphone
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
except of course in arriva land where day tickets, weekly tickets and monthly tickets can be paid for on your debit / credit card via the e-ticket application on a smartphone

How many people actually do that? I took advantage of an Arriva special offer a few months ago when they were offering free e-tickets and travelled all day in Hertfordshire and across to Harlow and Luton but I didn't see anyone else using an e-ticket. Most people were paying the driver in cash.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,760
Location
Yorkshire
except of course in arriva land where day tickets, weekly tickets and monthly tickets can be paid for on your debit / credit card via the e-ticket application on a smartphone

I tried that app (android version).

It crashed 3 times whilst I was looking up prices.

I didn't dare risk that happening halfway through a card transaction so we bought our tickets on the bus.

Looking at the reviews lots of people have had trouble getting it to display their tickets.
 
Joined
10 Mar 2013
Messages
1,010
I tried that app (android version).

It crashed 3 times whilst I was looking up prices.

I didn't dare risk that happening halfway through a card transaction so we bought our tickets on the bus.

Looking at the reviews lots of people have had trouble getting it to display their tickets.

it's worked fine for me for more than a year and in two Arriva localities
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,760
Location
Yorkshire
it's worked fine for me for more than a year and in two Arriva localities


Sounds like you've been lucky.

The reviews seem to be a litany of tickets disappearing and the app not working.

Seems nearly half of users rated it as 1 star!
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
How many people actually do that? I took advantage of an Arriva special offer a few months ago when they were offering free e-tickets and travelled all day in Hertfordshire and across to Harlow and Luton but I didn't see anyone else using an e-ticket. Most people were paying the driver in cash.

Is this where users show the bus driver an image on their phone? An m-ticket if you will?

Or is it where the phone works using NFC?

I think of an e-ticket as a print at home ticket.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top