• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Being asked for money in the street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,125
Location
Birmingham
The bottom line is if nobody gave directly to beggars but supported the night shelters, Salvation Army etc street begging would cease.

Begging wouldn't cease completely. What about the people who beg for money to fuel drug habits? They would be unaffected by the support you suggest as that does not help feed their habit.

You're also discounting those who beg professionally. - seems ridiculous but I can almost guarantee that one or two of the beggars I see in Birmingham down the A45 are begging professionally and are not actually homeless.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
I did once give someone 4p, who was in front of me in a shop, and was ever so slightly short of the total (about £9 something). She was very grateful, but it was just common sense.
Entirely reasonable if the person has enough money to pay for most of their groceries but is a bit short. Depends on how short and how often they try it. If I were a shopkeeper (rather than employed staff) I would probably let them off if they were a regular customer but if that developed into a regular habit, no more Mr Generous. A 'decent' person would offer to pay the money back the next time they went in to the shop.
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
Entirely reasonable if the person has enough money to pay for most of their groceries but is a bit short. Depends on how short and how often they try it. If I were a shopkeeper (rather than employed staff) I would probably let them off if they were a regular customer but if that developed into a regular habit, no more Mr Generous.
I've done that before. When people paid cash for most things, it used to be common for petrol stations to have a pot of 1p and 2p coins for people who'd accidentally gone over.

I did once pay about £10 to someone's shopping. She was a young woman, was short at the till and her shopping included baby formula and nappies. She didn't look like she was trying it on and she didn't ask - she was trying to work out how which of the items she could leave behind. Partly I felt sorry for her, partly I didn't want to think of a baby going hungry, and partly she was holding up the queue and I was in a rush...
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
I've done that before. When people paid cash for most things, it used to be common for petrol stations to have a pot of 1p and 2p coins for people who'd accidentally gone over.

I did once pay about £10 to someone's shopping. She was a young woman, was short at the till and her shopping included baby formula and nappies. She didn't look like she was trying it on and she didn't ask - she was trying to work out how which of the items she could leave behind. Partly I felt sorry for her, partly I didn't want to think of a baby going hungry, and partly she was holding up the queue and I was in a rush...
Baby formula, nappies and a 24 slab of lager = no generosity!

But that raises the issue of 'worthy poor' and 'unworthy poor'. That is that some people deserve charity (or benefits) as it is no fault of their own and their lifestyle meets ones expectations and other people don't because their lifestyle does not meet ones expectations 'they'll only squander it on drugs, drinks or cigarettes. I read all about them in the Daily Vomit'.

Thus it is far better to 'donate' through taxes or to charities who can then make that decision and offer guidance / support / signposting to services. However hard you try there will always be a hardcore remaining on the streets who will not or cannot engage with the support available.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Entirely reasonable if the person has enough money to pay for most of their groceries but is a bit short. Depends on how short and how often they try it. If I were a shopkeeper (rather than employed staff) I would probably let them off if they were a regular customer but if that developed into a regular habit, no more Mr Generous. A 'decent' person would offer to pay the money back the next time they went in to the shop.
I've done that before. When people paid cash for most things, it used to be common for petrol stations to have a pot of 1p and 2p coins for people who'd accidentally gone over.

I did once pay about £10 to someone's shopping. She was a young woman, was short at the till and her shopping included baby formula and nappies. She didn't look like she was trying it on and she didn't ask - she was trying to work out how which of the items she could leave behind. Partly I felt sorry for her, partly I didn't want to think of a baby going hungry, and partly she was holding up the queue and I was in a rush...

I have been the beneficiary in such a situation -- was at Belgrade airport in 1982, about to fly home after a week in what was then Yugoslavia: money in bank when I got back to Britain, but where I was, I was literally down to my last few "coppers". To my consternation, found a sum in "airport tax" required from me, before I could board the plane and leave -- I didn't fly much, and had never heard of the "airport tax" phenomenon. It was, if I recall rightly, only the equivalent of a couple of pounds; but I simply had not got it -- and the officials involved, were being implacable. A kindly fellow-passenger (American, if I remember rightly) on my flight, paid the sum concerned for me, totally "off his own bat". I found no opportunity for subsequently reimbursing him; would like to see self as ready to "pay it forward" for folk in a comparable situation, back home.
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Back in the second half of 2016, I was waiting outside Euston station in London to head back north.

A guy approached me and asked if I had any spare change for the bus. I gave a "no" as a reply.

When he wandered off to ask someone else, I could tell that he was trying it on, as by then the buses in London had stopped accepting cash payments a few months previous.
 

david1212

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2020
Messages
1,755
Location
Midlands
Begging wouldn't cease completely. What about the people who beg for money to fuel drug habits? They would be unaffected by the support you suggest as that does not help feed their habit.

You're also discounting those who beg professionally. - seems ridiculous but I can almost guarantee that one or two of the beggars I see in Birmingham down the A45 are begging professionally and are not actually homeless.

' Normal ', for want of a better word, or professional they would not sit / stand for hours if they got absolutely nothing or so little they could not buy their ' fix '.
They may resort to something else e.g. shoplifting but the stark reality is others already do this so resources are needed anyway to intercept.
 

Eyersey468

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2018
Messages
2,602
Its very rare i carry cash so no use them asking me, if i get asked for change I just say i dont have any. That said I did buy a cup of tea for a beggar outside Aldi last Christmas.
 

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2016
Messages
1,401
Location
Humberside
Recently I was asked if I had £4.80 for the bus to Grimsby. Quite a specific number I must say (I'm fairly sure Stagecoach charge a load more than that for a ticket to Grimsby but I digress). Simply said "sorry, no change on me". Worked quite well. The guy was reasonably polite afterwards to be fair.

I've had two instances where I felt I had to cough up (out of safety, not generosity). One was where I sat on a bench and eating lunch. A bloke approached me, sat down on the bench and gave a whole sob story about how he was released out of prison and couldn't get a job because of those "immigrants". I didn't fancy risking it so I parted ways with some coins. A second occasion was when at a ticket machine at the station another guy approached me and asked for change. Given my wallet was in my hand I was concerned he might've tried to nick it so I handed some coins over again. Haven't done it since though. My mum dealt with another instance where she got harassed outside of an Aldi by a beggar sat by the trolley area for money (I wasn't there though).

Given there's quite the number of beggars here you get used to giving the cold shoulder.
 

nanstallon

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2015
Messages
1,063
Recently I was asked if I had £4.80 for the bus to Grimsby. Quite a specific number I must say (I'm fairly sure Stagecoach charge a load more than that for a ticket to Grimsby but I digress). Simply said "sorry, no change on me". Worked quite well. The guy was reasonably polite afterwards to be fair.

I've had two instances where I felt I had to cough up (out of safety, not generosity). One was where I sat on a bench and eating lunch. A bloke approached me, sat down on the bench and gave a whole sob story about how he was released out of prison and couldn't get a job because of those "immigrants". I didn't fancy risking it so I parted ways with some coins. A second occasion was when at a ticket machine at the station another guy approached me and asked for change. Given my wallet was in my hand I was concerned he might've tried to nick it so I handed some coins over again. Haven't done it since though. My mum dealt with another instance where she got harassed outside of an Aldi by a beggar sat by the trolley area for money (I wasn't there though).

Given there's quite the number of beggars here you get used to giving the cold shoulder.
Those two instances where you felt you had to cough up amount to robbery. I suppose you could be like the Queen, and not carry any cash, but they'll probably tell you they have a card reader, and perhaps you'd like to make a donation that way.
 

beeza1

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2012
Messages
384
A couple of incidents come to mind for me,
A few years back I was in Huddersfield Town centre when I overheard one of these "beggars" telling his mate he'd "had a good day yesterday, I made £85"
But the best one for me was again, a few years back, my friend had met me at New Street, when we got outside we were approached by this individual asking for a specific amount, can't remember what it was, to make up his taxi fare to Solihull as his girlfriend had left him stranded.
My friend then started explaining to him he had more than enough to pay the train fare to Solihull, and proceeded to direct him to Snow Hill Station, he then stormed off "effing and jeffing". She was genuinely trying to help him, I thought it was hilarious.
 

nanstallon

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2015
Messages
1,063
It is amazing how entitled some people are. I know a couple who live near a bus route that goes straight to the local hospital, yet they were moaning that they'd have to pay for a taxi to take them there to see a relative, and the NHS wouldn't pay for this.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,682
Location
Solihull
It is amazing how entitled some people are. I know a couple who live near a bus route that goes straight to the local hospital, yet they were moaning that they'd have to pay for a taxi to take them there to see a relative, and the NHS wouldn't pay for this.
Ah but that would mean using public transport...

I know someone (who is currently out of work) who won't apply for jobs in the city centre now because of the LEZ and his car is a diesel. He has a regular (platinum route) bus to town passing the end of his road. He simply won't use public transport. Well more fool him to be honest...
 

Stan63

Member
Joined
20 Apr 2014
Messages
68
Location
Paisley
I was stopped in Paisley once on my way to the supermarket by a very well dressed tearful female asking me for bus fare so she could get to Glasgow because she fell out with her boyfriend. I saw there was a bus approaching so offered to stop the bus and pay her ticket once she got on. That suggestion went down like a lead balloon and she let loose with a torrent of abuse because I wasn't going to hand over any cash.
There are so many frauds out there, especially in the centre of Glasgow, that I never give money to anybody any more.

Stan
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Take care, OP. Glasgow City Centre is full of beggars especially on Sauchiehall Street and Argyle Street who will happily take your money to make a quick buck, fund their habit or whatever. It's not worse than other big cities but they do exist. Having said that, I think they tend to be careful who they approach here because many Glaswegians aren't shy with their feelings in my experience and there's plenty of chances for them to run into problems with the people they accost. Some of the scams they run in big London terminal stations I can't see going down that well here.

Has anybody texted the BTP when there are beggars as some announcements sometimes request? Used to be lots of tissue sellers in South London but the only one I've seen recently was on a Southend Victoria service.

Yes I have reported beggars on the Jubilee Line before and they replied back straight away asking for location and descriptions. Similar experience on a mainline WMT trip.
 
Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
If you felt it was genuine and you feel you want to help, you could offer to buy the ticket for them; a genuine person would gratefully accept that.

In years gone by, people used to hang around at King's Cross asking for people to buy a ticket to X, Y or Z (to prove they weren't conning them; they said exactly that) and they just used to go and get a refund after.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I was on the London Tube Picadilly Line (to Hounslow West) a few weeks ago and there were a few beggars that come on the train showing signs which "explain their plight" etc... asking for money, and one who placed small tissue pouches down with a sign asking for them to be purchased (no price mentioned). There also seems to be one or two beggars at Tottenham Court Road that sit there with their sign asking for money.

I fear that with the current climate, it will only get worse

Even during the pandemic the tissue sellers were out and about, and I always wondered why they didn't put down a pack of masks, or hand sanitiser! They could have made a killing*.

Seriously though; report them always. They are very organised and in the case of the London trains (and suburbs) I think the police traced most of the back to a number of properties near Wembley - and it seems almost certain that the money collected was part of a very big organised crime ring.

You'll sometimes notice they're part of a bigger group at terminal stations, and the other giveaway is the badly photocopied 'story' will be cut from the same photocopied template.

* Sadly, they do this and will keep doing this because a lot of people feel sorry for them and give money, whether they keep the tissues or not.
 
Last edited:

DannyMich2018

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2018
Messages
943
If you go out of Leicester Station it's likely you'll be hassled for money in front of the station within seconds! There's also usually some undesirable people hanging round near the small Sainsburys a short distance away. A few years ago I was near the market and beggar got quite nasty cause I didn't have any money for him. Thankfully I avoid Leicester if I'm on my own. Only usually go now for the footie.
 

hi2u_uk

Member
Joined
26 Apr 2014
Messages
255
I think a lot of these people (if genuine) need help from social services for whatever their long term issue is. A single donation of a few pounds probably wont help the underlying problem . I have seen disabled people in wheelchairs begging for money. If these people are truly wheelchair bound then this is what social security is there for and social services should be helping them get financial or other living support. They shouldnt need to be begging for money
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top