• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bedford St Johns to Bedford - timings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zn1

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2011
Messages
435
if the LMS had got their way there were plans for 3rd rail on all lines, and branches up to rugby, including the Branch and MML to bedford..as well rebuilding of euston to a brilliant art deco building.



sadly though Hitler invaded poland, it never happened and the BTC took over in 1948 !!

could be wrong but sure i read this somewhere
 

Firestarter

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2009
Messages
555
What are the chances of a ''platform 5'' being built? I know the Bedford Commuters Association are/were desperate for one so EMT get a up fast Platform
 

A0

On Moderation
Joined
19 Jan 2008
Messages
7,751
if the LMS had got their way there were plans for 3rd rail on all lines, and branches up to rugby, including the Branch and MML to bedford..as well rebuilding of euston to a brilliant art deco building.



sadly though Hitler invaded poland, it never happened and the BTC took over in 1948 !!

could be wrong but sure i read this somewhere

I'd be surprised if 3rd rail was the preferred option - as far back as 1921 the government had determined 1500V DC overhead should be used for mainline electrification, which was used for the Altrincham and Manchester Sheffield Wath electrification ( the Altrincham bit being LNER / LMS joint). And the LNER also had plans for the GE lines to be done to this standard.

Post WW2 technology had moved on so the standard became 25kv AC overhead (initially with 6.25kv in limited clearance areas).
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
Even to the point of looking silly sometimes. There is an arrival at Crayford in the evening from London via Woolwich at 1908, the stock then becomes the 1907 back to Cannon Street via Sidcup.

My favourite 'padding' is on the Wrexham - Bidston Service where trains arrive at Wrexham Central 2 minutes after the previous one leaves...Wrexham General 12:27 - Wrexham Central 12:32 Wrexham Central 12:30 Wrexham General 12:32. All done on a single track line...The wonders of modern science! :D
 

BlythPower

Member
Joined
15 Jan 2009
Messages
864
Location
Kenilworth
I'd be surprised if 3rd rail was the preferred option - as far back as 1921 the government had determined 1500V DC overhead should be used for mainline electrification, which was used for the Altrincham and Manchester Sheffield Wath electrification ( the Altrincham bit being LNER / LMS joint). And the LNER also had plans for the GE lines to be done to this standard.

Post WW2 technology had moved on so the standard became 25kv AC overhead (initially with 6.25kv in limited clearance areas).

The initial GE electrification was 1500V DC and subsquently converted to AC. The class 306 and 307 EMUs were rebuilt from DC at the time of conversion.
 

MK Tom

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
2,458
Location
Milton Keynes
Now I really want to see a picture!!! :o I might have to nip over to Bedford if nobody else is in the area!
 

mr ed

New Member
Joined
18 May 2011
Messages
4
View attachment 8082Here is the new electrical isolation diagram for Bedford/ Bedford sidings.
Note the new name of the sidings...Jowell sidings, and the permament earthed section

'Jowett' I believe sir. Named after Rodney Jowett I have been told ... I am afraid I am unaware as to who he is [or was].
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,589
Location
LBK
'Jowett' I believe sir. Named after Rodney Jowett I have been told ... I am afraid I am unaware as to who he is [or was].

According to Google he's a hypnotherapist! :lol:
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
Does anyone have any pictures of the new electrification? I had no idea that was happening. On a side note if full electrification of the MML does ever happen I think the marston vale line (if not all of EWR if that's open by then) should be electrified with it.

I would love that to happen but i just cant see a commercial case for it at all.
what could be the possible commercial basis? It is a lightly used mainly rurla branch line that seems to survive simply to feed into the commuter trains at each end.

Whichever company runs the service, however that service is powered, will always see it as an appendix. Would electrification change that?
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
I would love that to happen but i just cant see a commercial case for it at all.
what could be the possible commercial basis? It is a lightly used mainly rurla branch line that seems to survive simply to feed into the commuter trains at each end.

Whichever company runs the service, however that service is powered, will always see it as an appendix. Would electrification change that?

I would wager it's only chance is once the East-West link is fully completed.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
If we assume East West rail happens between Oxford and Bletchley, and subsumes the Marston Vale line; then the obvious TOC to run Bedford/Bletchley might no longer be LM, it might fit much better with Chiltern - which is almost certainly a 'diesel only' TOC in the medium term.

Electrification may only be relevant for the future role as a freight route, but electrically hauled freight from the south coast via Oxford is a heck of a long way off - the main route would have to happen first to justify widespread use of electric freight locos...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top