• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BasingstokeFreight1970s

Status
Not open for further replies.

overtonchris

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2013
Messages
225
Good Afternoon!

This is my first post! - I’ve been snooping around this site for a while-thoroughly enjoying myself ‘for gratis’ on the back of other people’s hard graft -so I thought it high-time to put-”digit to keyboard” and get a bit involved!!

I was lucky enough to spend my first 30 years living VERY close to Worting Junction, near Basingstoke, and have been mad for all things railway all my life as a result. I have often wondered what certain freight workings that passed my patch when I was a kiddy around 1976 /7 actually were - (i.e. where they were likely to have been coming from/going to etc.).....

The regular workings that particularly stick in my memory are:-

1. A class 33+73 combination, westbound on freight (possibly non-MGR coal wagons) -5PM(ish)
2. A Laira based class 52 or 46 –westbound, originating Basingstoke North Sidings on ballast -5PM(ish)
3. A Stratford based Class 37 on Oil Tankers going to Micheldever-westbound 8AM(ish) /eastbound 2PM(ish) -weekdays.

A bit of a long-shot /big ask after all these years I know, but if any of you knowledgeable folks out there can fill in any the gaps I’d be very grateful! (and a bit amazed!)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,416
Location
S Yorks, usually
1. Apparently (see http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2165) there was a 33/2+73 combination on MGR coal to Didcot from either Southampton or the Kent coalfields at one time.
2. The SR used to get their ballast from down Exeter/Barnstaple way (Meldon I think?), so that could account for the Laira engines. Usually in Sealion bogie hoppers.
3. There was an oil depot at Micheldever, and a Stratford 37 would suggest the Thames-side refineries E of Tilbury.
 

overtonchris

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2013
Messages
225
Thanks so for that info. I've wondered about those workings on and off for years and had no idea where to get the answers.

They were happy days for freight variety way back then!:)
 

overtonchris

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2013
Messages
225
......Ahhh......,if only I had Telstarbox, I would gladly. But I was only about 11/12 at the time and didn't give it much thought at the time......you know.......these things are going to be around forever????:(
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Also back then, every picture you took had a 'cost' to it - either the price of a slide film, or a print film plus developing. I probably take 4-5 times as many pictures now than what I did in pre-digital days. The 33+73 on an MGR train sounds fascinating - I don't think I've ever seen a shot of that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top