• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barcelona-Andorra (!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwales58

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2022
Messages
1,365
Location
notsure
The Viajando Contigo channel on YouTube has a wonderful video today amplifying ideas for a link between Andorra and the Barcelona-Puigcerda line, an extension of a proposal for light rail in Andorra, and even a link to La Pobla de Segur. Turn on English subtitles for auto-translation.

But the internet *proves* that a high speed rail link already exists, e.g.a well-known ticket seller:


FAQs: Is there a high speed train from Barcelona to Andorra la Vella? Yes, there's a high-speed train to Andorra la Vella. Take the fast train with SNCF | TGV INOUI from Barcelona to Andorra la Vella.
What train providers go from Barcelona to Andorra la Vella? Take the Barcelona to Andorra la Vella train with SNCF | TER or SNCF | TGV INOUI. However, it's always good to check out all possible train companies for the trip to Andorra la Vella from Barcelona as there might be differences in the amenities they offer.

Anyone feel like asking ChatGPT or it's ilk to confirm this stunning new line? It might even provide some pictures.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
I remember going to Andorra during an Interrail month in 1980. That involved some remarkable timetable convolutions on the Little Yellow Train and a coach trip; I believe the connections are even worse now. When we got there, we went hiking in the Pyrenees, and I stood on a bright green snake. I had never seen a snake before outside zoos. This did not help my enjoyment of that hike, nor subsequent ones.

Therefore I would support a rapid tram system from Barcelona to Andorra, as long as bright green snakes can be abolished. Both seem equally likely.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,367
Location
Yorkshire
I remember going to Andorra during an Interrail month in 1980. That involved some remarkable timetable convolutions on the Little Yellow Train and a coach trip; I believe the connections are even worse now. When we got there, we went hiking in the Pyrenees, and I stood on a bright green snake. I had never seen a snake before outside zoos. This did not help my enjoyment of that hike, nor subsequent ones.

Therefore I would support a rapid tram system from Barcelona to Andorra, as long as bright green snakes can be abolished. Both seem equally likely.
I'm sure the snake was equally unimpressed at being stepped on by a tourist who wasn't looking where he put his feet!

I looked into getting to Andorra via ground transport a few months ago, expecting there would be a coach bookable via RailEurope. Alas there wasn't one available on that app. My search for Andorra La Vella just brought up L'hospitalet-pres-de l'Andorre station on the Toulouse to Latour-de-Carol route, with no onward travel showing as available. Upon further research the only option I could find was to take a coach all the way from Barcelona. At the time I searched the bus link from the aforementioned French station was "temporarily suspended".
 

John-H

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2021
Messages
27
Location
Canada
Many years ago I was on the train Toulouse to Latour-de-Carol and I sat beside someone who was on his way to Andorra to buy cigarettes. Apparently Andorra is not in the EU and thus has some real bargains in cigarettes.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,367
Location
Yorkshire
Many years ago I was on the train Toulouse to Latour-de-Carol and I sat beside someone who was on his way to Andorra to buy cigarettes. Apparently Andorra is not in the EU and thus has some real bargains in cigarettes.
Like many principalities/micro-nations/city states/smaller territories (call them what you will) it has something of a "tax haven" status. We had a family holiday to part of France not far from the border in 1999, and had a day-trip to Andorra. There were substantial queues to cross the border due to mostly French people doing booze and ciggy runs.
 
Last edited:

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,203
Location
Wilmslow
Surprisingly perhaps, Andorra does have an excellent internal bus network, but nothing ventures across the border unfortunately. The only option from
Andorre-L'Hospitalet at present is to take a taxi to Pas de la Casa (just inside Andorra) and take the bus from there. Annoyingly the Toulouse to Andorra coach service does go past the station, but does not stop.
 

peterblue

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2018
Messages
614
Location
Lancashire
There are coaches from Toulouse to Andorra. A few a day, according to a recent search. Though the coach doesn't connect with intermediate stations along the Toulouse-LaTour railway line
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top