• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BA (LHR) or BA Cityflyer (LCY)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,795
Location
UK
Really fascinating to read, I did not know this. Thank you for sharing!

So effectively I make of it that an airline wanting to operate A320neo into City would have two options; one is to run the A320neo on the same routes they currently run an A220/Embraer to sell more seats (and potentially lower ticketing price to customers but increase revenue at the same time)
It's unlikely to result in lower ticket prices on average, but simply a higher volume of passengers. But yes this is the option I'd expect the likes of Lufthansa and KLM to potentially consider. SAS at a push perhaps (not sure if that would be too far in terms of range/load).

or two, to launch new further afield routes but likely deliberately only sell tickets for say only half of the plane (at a higher price, mind). Can't imagine that second option would be tempting but then again the clientele of LCY could potentially lean into the idea if the flight schedule/destination was a good selection. Perhaps you'd have to try make it more premium to justify the few flights sold as well (not saying you should, but in the same manner that BA1/2 were all business class).
I could see the likes of Beond considering that option. LCY isn't really slot constrained (especially since the maximum annual passenger cap was lifted recently) whereas LHR and LGW very much are.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
It's unlikely to result in lower ticket prices on average, but simply a higher volume of passengers. But yes this is the option I'd expect the likes of Lufthansa and KLM to potentially consider. SAS at a push perhaps (not sure if that would be too far in terms of range/load).


I could see the likes of Beond considering that option. LCY isn't really slot constrained (especially since the maximum annual passenger cap was lifted recently) whereas LHR and LGW very much are.
It's unlikely to result in lower ticket prices on average, but simply a higher volume of passengers. But yes this is the option I'd expect the likes of Lufthansa and KLM to potentially consider. SAS at a push perhaps (not sure if that would be too far in terms of range/load).


I could see the likes of Beond considering that option. LCY isn't really slot constrained (especially since the maximum annual passenger cap was lifted recently) whereas LHR and LGW very much are.
The special service to JFK from LCY via Shannon was possible using A318s that were laid out for 32 club passengers.Although that version isn't available in the neo generation, how many basic seats could they accommodate? Of course, mtow would the present the LCY issue.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,635
Location
Isle of Man
I think that's only on one side of the plane isn't it?

Why was I under the impression that E190s are fairly modern aircraft?
Yeah, the A220 is 3+2.

The E190s with BACF are all about 15 years old. They're not decrepit or anything, but there's probably only about another 10 years or so life in them.
 

Top