• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

avoided court

Status
Not open for further replies.

toast

New Member
Joined
4 May 2018
Messages
3
Hi all,
just wanted to say thanks to the people and the advice on this forum I have avoided a court case and a presumably large fine.

I travel every day from station A to C and change trains at station B. I have always either bought a ticket from a conductor or if one does not come through the train (it is often standing room only) I buy one using the Trainline app on my phone. Station A does have a ticket machine but there is always a queue and its just much easier doing it the way I usually do. Anyway, about a month ago I get to station B and a guy in a fluorescent green tabard sees me activate my Eticket and claims I only did it because I saw him and otherwise wouldn't have done so. I showed him all the other Etickes I have bought (I have bought a lot) but he didn't care. A few weeks later I get a letter saying they're taking me to court.

Thanks to this forum I then sent short letter explaining I now know the rules and wont do it again and have since received a letter saying I can avoid court if I pay a small(ish) amount the matter will be closed.

I now have a monthly pass with photo card and wont use the app again.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks.

P.S A tip for anyone in a similar spot to me is to download a scanner app on your phone and scan the letter for TI and send it as an email, just a quicker way of doing things.

(feel free to remove this thread if its in the wrong place)
:)
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheMack

Member
Joined
8 May 2018
Messages
12
Hi all,
just wanted to say thanks to the people and the advice on this forum I have avoided a court case and a presumably large fine.

I travel every day from station A to C and change trains at station B. I have always either bought a ticket from a conductor or if one does not come through the train (it is often standing room only) I buy one using the Trainline app on my phone. Station A does have a ticket machine but there is always a queue and its just much easier doing it the way I usually do. Anyway, about a month ago I get to station B and a guy in a fluorescent green tabard sees me activate my Eticket and claims I only did it because I saw him and otherwise wouldn't have done so. I showed him all the other Etickes I have bought (I have bought a lot) but he didn't care. A few weeks later I get a letter saying they're taking me to court.

Thanks to this forum I then sent short letter explaining I now know the rules and wont do it again and have since received a letter saying I can avoid court if I pay a small(ish) amount the matter will be closed.

I now have a monthly pass with photo card and wont use the app again.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks.

P.S A tip for anyone in a similar spot to me is to download a scanner app on your phone and scan the letter for TI and send it as an email, just a quicker way of doing things.

(feel free to remove this thread if its in the wrong place)
:)

Hi Toast, glad to hear you had such success. Did you outline what happened in your letter to the company or just apologise for what happened?

I’m in the middle of writing mine.

Thanks
 

toast

New Member
Joined
4 May 2018
Messages
3
No, I didnt mention what happened. I said sorry for not having a valid/activated ticket and that I have since bought a monthly pass so it will not happen again. I then quoted the paragraph from their website about the chance to pay 'fine' and asked if we could settle it that way. I think the whole letter i sent was about 2 short paragraphs. I also downloaded a scanner app on my phone and sent it via email, this speeded things up too. Good luck.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top