• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are mobile virtual network operators as good as major carriers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2013
Messages
2,053
The only downside of that is being unable to receive calls when you don't have an Internet connection.
True, but as a "replacement" (if that's how you use it) for a regular mobile number then (at least in most cases, if not all) if you have a mobile signal at all, then you likely have internet. So that far, it's about equal - as long as you have some data in your package (which, I suspect, many do).
There is probably greater likelihood of you having internet but no mobile (eg out of range or roaming overseas, but have WiFi) in which case, it's an advantage.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johncrossley

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2021
Messages
4,442
Location
London
I just ported our two numbers, both from 3 to Lebara and in both cases it was painless. Just pending a final bill from 3 to confirm that.

There is a way to avoid ever* having to port a number which involves
- a monthly cost currently £1.44/month (over and above your network tariff)
- a one-time new number at the outset, which you can run in parallel with your existing for as long as it takes to get all your correspondents updated
- using DATA as distinct from a call tariff

which
- will work anywhere in the world, as long as you have some internet access - so, free of any roaming charges if/when you are on eg a hotel WiFi etc.
- is not affected by (eg) the switch off of anything below 4g and the need for a VOLTE approved handset (is the case already in much of the USA)
- is, for all intents and purposes a landline number, meaning that any correspondent who uses a landline to call you isn't facing the surcharges many such providers apply to mobile calls
- is independent from any specific mobile network

and that is to rent a virtual landline number from a suitable provider (of which there are several) and give that out to your correspondents. And set your handset up to receive calls on that number.

If you want to make outgoing calls from the same "line" then there is a nominal per-minute charge. Depending on which number provider you choose, they may offer a call bundle. Or, using a different internet-based service, you can get unlimited outgoing calls for around £30 per year to any UK 01/02/03 landline, and many, many other countries inc. USA, and low per-minute rates to other destinations.


==================
* ever: similarly assumes the provider stays in business and/or hands their business over to a successor if not.

I've got a virtual landline number from Sipgate which is totally free for incoming calls. But I had never thought about using it as a replacement for a mobile number. Would people send you SMS messages on your landline number? People might be suspicious because the number looks geographic. What app would you use to make and receive calls and texts?
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,677
Location
Solihull
Best thing i ever did was switch to Giffgaff, more data than i know what to do with, for a tenner a month.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
I've ported my number several times. Much easier nowadays as you simply send a text to your current operator and the code comes back by return.
I ported mine from EE to Voxi only last week. Couldn't have been easier

Requested PAC code from EE via text, which came back by return. Once the Voxi account was registered, I went onto the website, selected to transfer in, gave the PAC code, selected a date (the very next day was offered) and it happened as planned.

I was also semi-involved with a Vodafone to O2 port at work a couple of years ago - we did around 40 numbers or so. The main challenge was co-ordinating it, but the actual port process itself was a doddle
 

bubieyehyeh

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2016
Messages
380
I had a virtual network go bankcrupt, however the parent network provided a way to get a PAC code to keep the number, I got the impression OFCOM required them to step up.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,138
Location
Wilmslow
I've used Plusnet for a few years now, and they use EE, which is important to me. If they change then probably so will I; I need good reception at home these days (requirement to use apps to verify, two-factor SMS authentication etc.) and it's a reliable network here, and it also works well on the train between London & Manchester.

To be honest, having renegotiated once already, I'm now in the second round of "automatically putting up your monthly rate by CPI+x%" nonsense which is a license to print money on the back of people who can't be bothered, so it's probably time to shop around again. The only "problem" with these virtual networks is finding out which real network they use, which isn't hard, and then concentrate on the ones I want.
 
Last edited:

Richardr

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2009
Messages
648
I've used Plusnet for a few years now, and they use EE, which is important to me. If they change then probably so will I; I need good reception at home these days (requirement to use apps to verify, two-factor SMS authentication etc.) and it's a reliable network here, and it also works well on the train between London & Manchester.
No chance of them changing - Plusnet is a brand of BT.
 

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2013
Messages
2,053
I've got a virtual landline number from Sipgate which is totally free for incoming calls. But I had never thought about using it as a replacement for a mobile number. Would people send you SMS messages on your landline number? People might be suspicious because the number looks geographic. What app would you use to make and receive calls and texts?
I use a Sipgate number at home. However when I wanted a second number for use on my mobile (I wanted a different number) I found their free offering is no longer available to new subscribers and you are limited to one number on the old free deal. So I looked for the next cheapest alternative which was from A&A - £1.44/month number rental, outbound calls at extra cost.

So - I haven't actually used Sipgate on my mobile. As far as the A&A number is concerned, I don't use a specific app; the existing Android phone app has settings inside it where you can apply the number and its password etc., and then direct it to receive calls and/or to make outgoing calls (options: never/always/ask each time). It took but a few seconds to apply it and test it for incoming. I use a different (cheaper) provider for outgoing web calls and that IS via their dedicated app. I'd guess that setting up a Sipgate number on your mobile would be similarly painless.

I haven't actually tested SMS using the A&A number so I don't know if/how they would be received (or sent). I do see, on my account there, a setting whereby incoming SMS can be redirected to an EMail account. More than this, I don't know.....
 

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,412
I've used Sky Mobile for years. 6 quid a month for unlimited calls and 2GB data. I now have over 150GB of data rolled over as well. The only disadvantage is the £2 daily EU roaming charge. That builds up if you're away for a week.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top