• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Applying for GWR job roles

LT0011

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2024
Messages
6
Location
plymouth
Over the last few years, I have been applying for jobs with GWR. My main interest/career goal is to work as a customer host. My very first application was for this role and I was successfully offered an interview. Unfortunately I didn’t secure a position but I received positive feedback from the interviewer encouraging me to apply again. I applied a second time for customer host and was not shortlisted. Since then, I have also applied for other job roles within GWR with no success.
I wondered if anyone has any advice/knowledge as to if GWR would view applying for different roles as not a good idea (as it might show I’m not 100% committed to a customer host role) or does this show enthusiasm to want to work for GWR?
I met a lovely customer host whilst travelling on the train recently and we had a chat about how difficult the GWR process is to even be shortlisted. They discussed that it took them many application attempts over several years, and they had previous customer host experience and told me not to give up which was reassuring.
Im fully aware how popular and sought after these jobs are and it’s a very competitive market.
Anyone else having the same experience and any advice on how the GWR recruitment process works?
I have so many questions and it comes from a place of enthusiasm, determination not to give up applying and a dedication to want to work for GWR.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,286
If it's any consolation, I've been on the Railway for over a Decade, working in a Ticket Office role at a different TOC.

I recently had an interview with GWR for a part time Ticket Office role but was unsuccessful, mainly because my solution to dealing with a Customer Service scenario didn't involve me "personalising" or offering "enhanced" Customer Service to Customers.
(I did of course ensure that the Customer understood my advice and we're satisfied with my help, which they were.)

Even my Line Manager was confused when I told him about my feedback, so I'm assuming he hadn't come across "personalising" customer service to that individual customer either.
 

SmugStarlord

Member
Joined
11 May 2026
Messages
64
Location
Twyford
I applied for trainee train driver last year and so far, the application is going successfully.
Before that I applied and interviewed for train dispatch (came 2nd after interview), customer service apprentice (didnt pass the interview and didnt get any feedback, even after sending several emails) and ticket office/gate line (didnt even make it to interview).

Keep going and dont be disheartened and dont give up. My dream role is train driving and im nearly there after the knock backs over the years
 

Top