• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone live beside the railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DH1Commuter

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2018
Messages
99
For 8 years I lived with a direct, slightly upward view to Durham viaduct. It was brilliant, particularly when the heavy coal trains ran over and the house vibrated.

As a kid I recall seeing the Cawdor Quarry line from the school playground, after hearing blasting and seeing the cliffs fall from a mile away.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dunnyrail

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2017
Messages
151
I used to live just North of Wembley Central at the end of the 2nd Road on the left. In later life my garden at Leagrave backed onto pretty well the South end of the Down side car park, tis the garden with 100ft Leylandi at the end, never that high in my days! Since then a good distance from any line but never more than the 12 minutes walk my current home to platform at St.Neots.
 
Last edited:

Johnnie2Sheds

Member
Joined
10 Jan 2011
Messages
197
Location
West Midlands
I live within 200 yards of the Penkridge branch of the WCML. Loads of freight and passenger. There seems to be more freight than when I moved here five years ago.
 

MrEwy

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2025
Messages
12
Location
Flitwick
I live close by to the midland main line, approx 100m, can see trains from the car park outside our houses but not from my house, although I can hear them very clearly, I can tell if it’s something other than the usual 222, 360 or 700
 

LAX54

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2008
Messages
3,906
Used to live the the Crossing House in Lingwood (Norfolk)....part of the Wife's job (no, not rent free!)
 

apinnard

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2017
Messages
386
Location
Kettering
my house backs on to the MML between the “depot” and Kettering South Junction. Early morning and late evening I get the horns of the 360’s coming and going from the siding/depot. Not much to see these days sadly.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,941
Location
Gwynedd
I've lived close to a couple now.

Growing up I lived on the site of the old Connah's Quay railway station. In modern times it's a mix of the very fast Avanti services which may not stop at Flint or Shotton (the stations either side of Connah's Quay) and the semi-fast TfW services which almost all stop at Shotton at least meaning they're not as fast approaching the old CQ station. I quite enjoyed living there actually, and you got used to the sound of the trains very easily. In fact our cats used to sleep the other side of our garden wall, a mere 12ft from the tracks. The only minor disruption was nighttime engineering works but never bothered me. Ashamed to say that I spent a fair amount of time playing on the railway as a child and teenager.

Now live backing onto the Borders Railway. It's very quite with a handful of trains per hour. The services are not particularly interesting as it's just 170s. Am yet to see anything else apart from some on track plant going by!
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,727
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
January 1991 to November 1993, I lived in Bicester, with the back garden adjacent to the Chiltern main line, a mile north of Bicester North station.
Days when 47-hauled services still ran from Paddington and (until summer 1991) Marylebone.

December 1993 to March 2000, I lived in Cheshunt, with the back garden adjacent to the Cambridge main line.

17 years and four homes "away from railway"; but our current home, since 2017, is 150 metres from Bedhampton station.
It is, admittedly, mostly a diet of Southern and SWR; however, there are exceptions - and it inspired my photos thread "Loco Hauled Around Havant", on this forum. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top