• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Antique Violin Stolen From Train Luggage Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Amen ! (As witness the various tales in this thread, of people forgetting about highly-important things -- or people -- in their charge, prompted by this comment.)

I'm tempted to think that perhaps highly bright / talented people have more of a tendency to this sort of vagueness, than do us "average Joes". Am reminded of an experience long ago, of myself and a fellow-railway-enthusiast -- an academically brilliant guy with a stratospherically high IQ, but the quintessential "absent-minded professor". This gentleman and I had plans for a joint rail "bash" of a country at the other end of Europe, which interested us. Our respective circumstances meant that we had arranged to meet up actually out there, in the capital city. Subsequent experience made it clear to me, that one did not make rendezvous-ing arrangements with this chap -- there was a more than 90% likelihood of his messing them up, and the meeting not happening; but at the time of this venture, I had yet to discover that. In case of our first rendezvous failing; we had back-up plans A and B, for different venues in the country, x and y hours later -- all very John le Carre, and, we thought, foolproof; but re that word, "the boundless ingenuity of fools..."

On my friend's outward journey by rail, he left his compartment for a meal in the dining car, leaving his luggage on the compartment overhead rack. During his absence, some less-than-honest citizen rifled his luggage; taking various things from it, including the piece of paper on which he had written, in full, our rendezvous-ing arrangements. His memories of same were vague and incomplete: things so worked out, that I turned up for all our three alternative rendezvous -- he was at none of them; he tried to take measures to contact me, which fell through -- ultimately, after a couple of days he gave up and went home; I did the bash (with some modifications because of the messing-around) solo. I had to wonder why in heaven's name, my friend had not had the nous to keep the written-down details of our meeting-up plans, on his person; but that (can be) people for you...
While I was attending Bristol University as a mature student my wife arranged for a work colleague who'd got a Double First at Cambridge to lodge - she was given a key, and one day my wife returned home from work first and found the key lying on the front step. Luckily, the house was OK, but when lodger rolled up, she had to ring the bell. On answering the door, my wife asked what had happened to her key, to which the reply was ''oh, I was in such a hurry this morning I didn't have time to pick up the key when I dropped it, I thought I'd find it when I got back.'' !!!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
What's the saying? -- "God looks after fools / innocents / drunks"...
 

Terry Tait

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2019
Messages
196
I found a phone on a 317 at Liverpool Street once, I got off the train with it and tried to give it to railway staff but they told me to take it to the lost property office which I did but it made me miss my train so next time I see a mobile phone on the floor I shall ignore it e even if it is a violin
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top