• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ALR compensation for delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennorthyork

Member
Joined
31 Oct 2008
Messages
384
I am currently doing a 7 day 1st class ALR. Not great timing I know with the snow. Anyway there have been delays and was wondering what compensation I should get. My plan was last night Euston to Aviemore then today Chieftain to Kings Cross which I am on now. The sleeper was 3 hours late so I changed at Carnoustie for the Chieftain which is 3 hours late and declassified. Any thoughts? Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
Send off a claim and see.

It depends on how each TOC calculates it.
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
I claimed during 2009, for delays of between 30 minutes and cancellation en-route, all claims were accepted
Claims during adverse weather, not sure about that one

However keep a record then submit each journey for consideration
 

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
1,432
Location
South Liverpool
How do I go about claiming? Do I need to send my alr off to one train company at a time?

I'd suggest photocopies. Include in the letter the fact that you're claiming for several delays and can't send everyone the same ticket.

When I did mine in February, the longest delay I had was 4 minutes!
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
rail-britain, what was the refund based on?
a standard walk up ticket for that leg of the journey?
Details can be found here :
http://www.rail-britain.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=517

Do NOT send the original ticket
Instead take colour copies
On the claim form you will be asked for the ticket type, ticket number, and train used

Only Virgin Trains asked for a copy of the original ticket and seat reservation
This was for the journey on Monday 22 June
I was unable to supply a seat reservation, as this was my intended Class 90 service, but ended up being a Pendolino

The refunds were based on 50% of the First Class Return fare
This was confirmed for the journey on Friday 26 June

My claim for Sunday 21 June was a bit cheeky
I had reservations on the East Coast Edinburgh - Kings Cross
However, I travelled on the Cross Country HST between Edinburgh and Newcastle, then taking my seat on the following East Coast service at Newcastle
Both services were delayed, and both were accepted
Cross Country paid out based on Edinburgh - York and East Coast paid out based on Edinburgh - Peterborough
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
What is the possibility of getting the whole cost of an ALR back in refunds (if of course a lot of trains were delayed)?
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
What is the possibility of getting the whole cost of an ALR back in refunds (if of course a lot of trains were delayed)?
Very possible, furthermore you could get back more than you paid
As you can see, the Inverness - Euston sleeper alone got me £114 back
The Edinburgh - Peterborough was £35.00 (and that was for under 60 minutes delay)
The Edinburgh - Aberdeen was £49.50 (I didn't travel on this service, swapping to the earlier FSR service, but had a reservation on the East Coast service I had to abandon)
 

garnon

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2008
Messages
108
Very possible, furthermore you could get back more than you paid
As you can see, the Inverness - Euston sleeper alone got me £114 back
The Edinburgh - Peterborough was £35.00 (and that was for under 60 minutes delay)
The Edinburgh - Aberdeen was £49.50 (I didn't travel on this service, swapping to the earlier FSR service, but had a reservation on the East Coast service I had to abandon)

I have seen at least one TOC cap the maximum refund to the pro-rata daily cost of the ticket (eg £650 divided by 7 = £93) but of course you may have multiple claims on a single day.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
What is the possibility of getting the whole cost of an ALR back in refunds (if of course a lot of trains were delayed)?
Based on what rail-britain has said (not just in this topic but previously) and based on what a certain regular FC ALR user with the initials T and C has told me, given that he has received greater than half the cost back on occasions that have not seen weather conditions anywhere near this bad, I'd say anyone doing an ALR this week, if they submitted claims for all their delays, would be highly likely to make a profit. Providing they did many journeys in Scotland, North East England where the weather is worst.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Or of course they could find out where the delays were on some services on different TOCs and get more money that way...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top