• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Airport security 100ml restriction to be scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,803
It has been announced that Luton Airport is introducing new baggage checking equipment which will remove the need to have liquids and laptops taken out of bags. 12 machines with larger trays so as to also increase throughput and reduce the time to clear security.
 

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2014
Messages
2,964
It has been announced that Luton Airport is introducing new baggage checking equipment which will remove the need to have liquids and laptops taken out of bags. 12 machines with larger trays so as to also increase throughput and reduce the time to clear security.

Luton's security experience is actually one major reason why I prefer to use them over Stansted. Their security is always very friendly and efficient, whereas Stansted can be like a prison camp with dreadfully inefficient security processes. This will only help things move faster there, and it might even help with the crowds in the terminal if people know that there's no reason to turn up 2-3 hours in advance there.
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,795
It has been announced that Luton Airport is introducing new baggage checking equipment which will remove the need to have liquids and laptops taken out of bags.
I have just been through Guernsey airport and thy do just that. It's an improvement, I'm sure it will save time, however I was one of only two people in the queue so difficult to judge! needs to be made very clear before you enter security that the system is in place so be ready. What takes up time is people having to remove belts and shoes and I think these new machines make that unnecessary.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,712
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I have just been through Guernsey airport and thy do just that. It's an improvement, I'm sure it will save time, however I was one of only two people in the queue so difficult to judge! needs to be made very clear before you enter security that the system is in place so be ready. What takes up time is people having to remove belts and shoes and I think these new machines make that unnecessary.

Belts (and other metal on the body) is more about the person scanners - if they're putting everyone through millimetre wave machines rather than using them as a secondary check, they can indeed say you can leave stuff like belts and potentially watches on. Most airports use them as a secondary check because they're expensive so you only then need a lower number to use if someone alarms the metal detector plus randomly, but some are moving towards them being primary and potentially getting rid of the metal detectors entirely.

Shoes are random in the UK unless you have big hefty boots or something with substantial metal in the sole. I rarely have to remove mine.

The subject of this thread is a bit separate and is mostly talking about baggage which is now being CT scanned instead of being X-rayed - a similar tech but one that allows a multilayer image to be built up (hence no need to remove laptops, which on traditional X-rays block everything else due to the circuit board) and one which has added tech of some sort (not quite sure how this works) to identify the nature of liquids.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Cheers
Does anyone with knowledge not as yet familiar to me? No if and when we are going to be able to dispense with this 100 ml or less liquid thing once and for all? Obviously it happened in phases as airports upgraded and then was reintroduced as a blanket restriction again in June of last year. I for one am more than a bit cheesed off at this. And wondering if anyone knows anything?
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,795
Cheers
Does anyone with knowledge not as yet familiar to me? No if and when we are going to be able to dispense with this 100 ml or less liquid thing once and for all? Obviously it happened in phases as airports upgraded and then was reintroduced as a blanket restriction again in June of last year. I for one am more than a bit cheesed off at this. And wondering if anyone knows anything?
Only update is some airports you can leave liquids within those limits inside your case, others have to be visible.
Don't think any airports allow greater volumes yet?
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,451
Location
Somerset
Only update is some airports you can leave liquids within those limits inside your case, others have to be visible.
Is it still the case at Stansted that it depends on which security queue you end up in whether you have to separate liquids or not?
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
I can't speak for Stansted but I'll certainly update as to what happens at Gatwick North tomorrow afternoon. But I have to say my patience with this is well and truly weighing out. It's a compromise. Obviously I continue to make as I fly frequently as both better value for money and more reliable than long distance rail as things currently stand. But honestly, it's doing no one any favours except those of course who make miniature toiletries having things as they stand, and I could never quite understand the rationale for reintroducing it in the first place other than the fact that a couple of scanners had developed faults.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,712
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I can't speak for Stansted but I'll certainly update as to what happens at Gatwick North tomorrow afternoon. But I have to say my patience with this is well and truly weighing out. It's a compromise. Obviously I continue to make as I fly frequently as both better value for money and more reliable than long distance rail as things currently stand. But honestly, it's doing no one any favours except those of course who make miniature toiletries having things as they stand, and I could never quite understand the rationale for reintroducing it in the first place other than the fact that a couple of scanners had developed faults.

I thought it had been established that the software was generally not quite good enough to identify what a liquid was, so pending improvements the 100ml precaution (basically not enough to down an aircraft if it was a binary liquid explosive) was reintroduced. However because the scanners can see at multiple depths taking the liquids out of your bag remains unnecessary.
 

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,400
Location
Bedford
I thought it had been established that the software was generally not quite good enough to identify what a liquid was, so pending improvements the 100ml precaution (basically not enough to down an aircraft if it was a binary liquid explosive) was reintroduced. However because the scanners can see at multiple depths taking the liquids out of your bag remains unnecessary.
Guidance did revert to the 'old fashioned' approach of needing all liquids out even with the CT scanners for a period last year, but the last time I flew through Heathrow we were back to leaving everything in the bag again albeit with the 100ml rule remaining, so it does look like progress is being made.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Guidance did revert to the 'old fashioned' approach of needing all liquids out even with the CT scanners for a period last year, but the last time I flew through Heathrow we were back to leaving everything in the bag again albeit with the 100ml rule remaining, so it does look like progress is being made.
I believe it depended on the airport. Some allowed you to leave the liquids in, and others like Heathrow said they must come out.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Thanks both. I hadn't heard that about the scanners, last I'd read was that a couple of them had simply developed faults and that a perhaps somewhat knee-jerk reaction of reintroducing the whole lot had been put in place. This all makes a bit more sense now, although continues to provide frustration for those of us who regularly fly with cabin baggage.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
As I transition through a practically deserted Gatwick North Terminal yesterday late morning I was allowed to keep my liquids in my bag and the extremely chatty scanner operator said that there does appear to be some real forward progress on ditching the 100 ml rule. He didn't have any more details but progress of a sort is better than no progress I guess.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top