brazilianfunky
New Member
hello,
I travelled on a GWR train a few months ago with a paid for ticket under a 16-25 railcard. I am under 25. I have used this railcard for months and it often gets checked with no issue.
During this journey GWR employee scanned my ticket and asked for my railcard. When railcard was scanned the name did not correlate. She briefly spoke to me and asked me to pay the difference in my ticket as we could not explain the discrepancy. I was not cautioned or told I would be reported. I did not give any personal information to the employee, i was not asked for any info. I was not given a fine, or notice, or ref #.
Months later I have received an email from a GWR personnel address with a precourt settlement letter attached. The letter had no letterhead, no reference number. Theyve demanded over £1000 because I travel often with discount. You cant even complain or call prosecutions without a reference number. They can barely help you.
As it was so out of the blue i contacted customer service three times instead. Each time I was assured that this was a scam, to report to the BTP, to ignore the email and do not send money as GWR should give a ref number, send letters to your home or contact from a general address. None of this was my case.
I then submitted a complaint with customer service for them to investigate further because I was unsettled. It has now come back that its not a scam and I need to respond. The information has been confusing and conflicting. However, GWR (I feel) have not followed the procedure outlined in their revenue protections policy. They are demanding ££ or court. Im scared but I cannot help but feel GWR are in the wrong here. I feel backed into a corner to say I’ve done something I have no knowledge of doing! Am i right?
I travelled on a GWR train a few months ago with a paid for ticket under a 16-25 railcard. I am under 25. I have used this railcard for months and it often gets checked with no issue.
During this journey GWR employee scanned my ticket and asked for my railcard. When railcard was scanned the name did not correlate. She briefly spoke to me and asked me to pay the difference in my ticket as we could not explain the discrepancy. I was not cautioned or told I would be reported. I did not give any personal information to the employee, i was not asked for any info. I was not given a fine, or notice, or ref #.
Months later I have received an email from a GWR personnel address with a precourt settlement letter attached. The letter had no letterhead, no reference number. Theyve demanded over £1000 because I travel often with discount. You cant even complain or call prosecutions without a reference number. They can barely help you.
As it was so out of the blue i contacted customer service three times instead. Each time I was assured that this was a scam, to report to the BTP, to ignore the email and do not send money as GWR should give a ref number, send letters to your home or contact from a general address. None of this was my case.
I then submitted a complaint with customer service for them to investigate further because I was unsettled. It has now come back that its not a scam and I need to respond. The information has been confusing and conflicting. However, GWR (I feel) have not followed the procedure outlined in their revenue protections policy. They are demanding ££ or court. Im scared but I cannot help but feel GWR are in the wrong here. I feel backed into a corner to say I’ve done something I have no knowledge of doing! Am i right?