• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Lime Street to Manchester CLC Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I suspect the common denominator in "Awkward PTE boundaries" is GMPTE/TfGM. Case in point, both West Yorkshire and South Yorkshire boundaries overlap, meaning the boundary station is in both PTE areas (Darton, Denby Dale, Moorthorpe, South Elmsall). For some reason there was never a reciprocal arrangement between the two PTEs with Marsden and Greenfield- though there is a greater distance between the two than with the South Yorkshire examples.

While I think the Pennines to some extent provide a natural division, I could see a very strong case for Liverpool, Manchester and the forthcoming south Lancashire unitary to pool their resources to create a Verkehrsverbund Nord-West (sorry, it just sounds better in German! :) ) to work towards quality London-style integrated transport across the whole North West conurbation, potentially including devolution of Northern (West). I think a lot could be achieved that way. I do wonder if one of the failures of regional Government is considering the whole North as one, and it's just a bit big - there is probably a natural three-way split there if you look how people associate - North West (Liverpool, Manchester and Preston triangle plus Blackpool and Lancaster and surrounds), traditional Yorkshire, and Cumbria and the North East (or split that down the M6 to each side). The split between Regional Railways NW and NE made a lot of sense, really.

Dare I say Burnham might be the one to achieve it? He's a Scouser who's got Mancs voting for him...

Back to the thread, excellent Liverpool-Warrington-Manchester connectivity would be a key part of it.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth

Established Member
Joined
10 Mar 2011
Messages
1,505
UK regional government doesn't consider the north as one. It considers it as three, with their administrative centres of Manchester, Leeds & Newcastle. A big part of the Capital of Culture jolly for Liverpool in the early 2000s was the NWDA feeling the need to give it something, with the planned elected assembly predictably slated for Manchester. Liverpool was to focus on tourism and Manchester on pretty much everything else, as well as tourism. Not exactly a great deal, in my opinion, but the local Lib Dem administration were happy to swallow it at the time.

And it's still a "no" from me. I don't know anyone in Liverpool that wants a political version of Granada Reports. We can run ourselves and cooperate voluntarily with neighbouring areas as we see fit. The San Fransisco Bay Area isn't run by a regional government based in San Jose but rather several counties. The Randstad cities also have their own separate provinces. Furthermore, regional government in this country has always been about the centre consolidating its grip on the country and undermining local government, not about devolving power from the centre in any meaningful sense.
 

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Joined
26 Dec 2019
Messages
3,459
Location
The North
So anyway, a Lime Street to Manchester Airport metro service via Warrington. Yay or nay?

Maybe there should be a regional devolution thread or a Liverpool v the world thread to have some of this conversation.
 

Gareth

Established Member
Joined
10 Mar 2011
Messages
1,505
You mean a Mingland v Liverpool thread. Could be interesting but I doubt it would contain the issue.
 

MattRat

On Moderation
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
2,129
Location
Liverpool
While I think the Pennines to some extent provide a natural division, I could see a very strong case for Liverpool, Manchester and the forthcoming south Lancashire unitary to pool their resources to create a Verkehrsverbund Nord-West (sorry, it just sounds better in German! :) ) to work towards quality London-style integrated transport across the whole North West conurbation, potentially including devolution of Northern (West). I think a lot could be achieved that way. I do wonder if one of the failures of regional Government is considering the whole North as one, and it's just a bit big - there is probably a natural three-way split there if you look how people associate - North West (Liverpool, Manchester and Preston triangle plus Blackpool and Lancaster and surrounds), traditional Yorkshire, and Cumbria and the North East (or split that down the M6 to each side). The split between Regional Railways NW and NE made a lot of sense, really.

Dare I say Burnham might be the one to achieve it? He's a Scouser who's got Mancs voting for him...
You'd need HS2 to go further north to relieve the WCML up there to provide more services to Preston and beyond, and Burnham is too focused on the Manchester HS2 station.
You mean a Mingland v Liverpool thread. Could be interesting but I doubt it would contain the issue.
Don't you mean Wool-land? Pretty certain that's what they'd call it, unless I'm even more out of touch with my fellow Liverpudlian than I realized (Born here, but perhaps not spiritually here, I do vote Lib Dem).
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Don't you mean Wool-land? Pretty certain that's what they'd call it, unless I'm even more out of touch with my fellow Liverpudlian than I realized (Born here, but perhaps not spiritually here, I do vote Lib Dem).
Cotton. Woollen mills are a Yorkshire thing, we didn't need slavery to get rich!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top