DynamicSpirit
Established Member
I'm wondering if this would work as an idea for a future Crossrail 3: As shown in the map:
Tunnel from Victoria, heading up to Hyde Park Corner, Marble Arch, Edgware Road, Kilburn High Road, where the line would divide. One tunnel would head up to West Hampstead, Golders Green and on to possible destinations in North London, perhaps around and a bit beyond Finchley. The other would head NW and emerge to join the National Rail Chiltern line, probably somewhere near Willesden Green.
This line would then absorb quite a few of the Southern metro services from Victoria, turning them into cross-London trains. Some of those could then provide a stopping service to West Ruislip along the Chiltern line via Wembley Stadium, or take over the Marylebone-Aylesbury services.
I'm conscious that in previous discussions, it's been said in these forums that once Crossrail 2 is built, there will be no room under central London for any more railway tunnels. I think this proposal avoids that problem by steering the line a bit further West, so it avoids the places that are most crowded with multiple existing tube lines, while still providing lots of new interchanges. At Victoria, it would route completely to the West of the existing Victoria line - so it could presumably be built with platforms at the same depth as the Victoria line, avoiding conflicts with Crossrail2 (which crosses the Victoria line there so I would assume must be planned to be built at a different depth).
Thoughts? I don't think there's any doubt that this would be useful, but would it be possible/practicable to build?

Tunnel from Victoria, heading up to Hyde Park Corner, Marble Arch, Edgware Road, Kilburn High Road, where the line would divide. One tunnel would head up to West Hampstead, Golders Green and on to possible destinations in North London, perhaps around and a bit beyond Finchley. The other would head NW and emerge to join the National Rail Chiltern line, probably somewhere near Willesden Green.
This line would then absorb quite a few of the Southern metro services from Victoria, turning them into cross-London trains. Some of those could then provide a stopping service to West Ruislip along the Chiltern line via Wembley Stadium, or take over the Marylebone-Aylesbury services.
I'm conscious that in previous discussions, it's been said in these forums that once Crossrail 2 is built, there will be no room under central London for any more railway tunnels. I think this proposal avoids that problem by steering the line a bit further West, so it avoids the places that are most crowded with multiple existing tube lines, while still providing lots of new interchanges. At Victoria, it would route completely to the West of the existing Victoria line - so it could presumably be built with platforms at the same depth as the Victoria line, avoiding conflicts with Crossrail2 (which crosses the Victoria line there so I would assume must be planned to be built at a different depth).
Thoughts? I don't think there's any doubt that this would be useful, but would it be possible/practicable to build?
