• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A 150 question ive been meaning to ask for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrontSideBus

On Moderation
Joined
11 Feb 2025
Messages
451
Before the Liverpool to Manchester line was electrified I used to commute on them daily and I must admit that I despised them at the time. I was a lot happier when a 156 (or even a 142!!!) turned up but now I've learned to like them for what they are.

Too bad they can't be stripped down to the bodyshell, have HVAC added and then rebuilt to as-new condition with new engines ect.
Or at least a Renatus 321 style refurb.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,455
Location
Somerset
There's historically been restrictions around Boldon on 150s operating via the Durham Coast route, but it doesn't preclude them entirely as the 950 test unit has gone that way regularly over the years, and a Northern 150/1 was routed back south that way empty in March this year after having some work done at Heaton.
So what is it that precludes them running (with passengers) but permits 156s and 158s? Gauging if an air suspension bag goes “bang” perhaps? Is that something that happens? (Ever? / frequently?) I’ve often wondered.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
Indeed, I understand it had to go via worcester because it was banned from the MML south of Bedford
The 950 works south of Bedford irc
I don't recall them south of Bletchley or on the WLL, although they did work the Goblin for many years.
Before my time in the area they worked ECS from Euston to bletchley and I have heard telly off the 150's working passenger services at various times on that route.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top