• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

507021's Days Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Nice end of the day with some 68 based noise :)

Definitely, they make a great noise. The 68s are easily my favourite modern loco class.

Sounds like a good trip mate. I’ve not had a ride on the Mk 5s yet but I see them often at Longsight on my way to Manchester Airport.

They're really nice mate, the loco hauling them isn't bad either!

Ah great stuff. And a reminder to me that I’ve got on awful lot of trip reports to catch up on...
Those 195s look pretty decent actually, I’d hoped to have a ride on one a couple of months ago on my way to the ELR diesel gala but I ended up on a 156 (which I didn’t actually mind to be honest).

I really like the 195s tbh mate, they look and sound good and the interior's decent too. I'd say they're my favourite DMU class after the 156s.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Day Two - Plus a Review!

Today, my friend decided to come to Liverpool for the first time. Upon arrival, he wanted to travel under the River Mersey, so we took a short ride over to Birkenhead on the West Kirby-bound 507019. To get back to Liverpool, we decided to take a ride on an Arriva North West operated Volvo B5LH back through the Birkenhead road tunnel.

Next on our list was a trip to the North West Museum of Road Transport in St Helens. We didn’t have to wait too long for our train, which was the 12:15 departure operated by 319376. The museum was very enjoyable indeed, we spent the best part of a couple of hours having a look around at the excellent exhibits, it was well worth a visit.

After going to The Glass House for something to eat, we decided to head back into Liverpool. The first train to arrive was a very full 319, so we decided to let it go and waited for the next train, which was 319367. Once back in Liverpool, we waited for Arriva North West’s 4590 to arrive back in the city centre so my friend could get a photo of it.

A friend had let me know earlier in the day it was on service 10B, so we kept an eye out for those. Why 4590? Well it’s recently been repainted in Merseyside Transport’s green, cream and brown livery and IMO it looks outstanding.

Soon enough, it was time for my friend to head back to Manchester. I decided to join him as far as South Parkway, with the service operated by the required 195116 Proud to be Northern. After saying our goodbyes on arrival at South Parkway, I’d planned to head home, but was very surprised to bump into fellow forum members on the overhead walkway.

I had cancelled plans to join them for the day due to my friend’s visit, but decided to join the meal after being invited to do so. We boarded 158777, paired with another 158, which took us back to to Lime Street before we headed to Pizza Express on Victoria Street for the meal.

It was an excellent evening with great company I have to say, on reflection I was glad I went along after all.

507021’s review of the Mark 5A stock.

I really like it, to be honest. I found Coach C of TP04 to be bright and spacious, giving a relaxing ambience and an enjoyable passenger experience. I’m a fan of the wood effect panelling at each end of the passenger saloons, too.

My seat was in the middle of the carriage, and I shared a table with another passenger. I found there was plenty of legroom, and I think the table was a decent size too. I also like the seat reservation screens, which in my view are well positioned and easy to read, with useful green and red lights to inform passengers of a seat’s availability. I like where the excellent PIS screens are positioned too.

Overall, I’d give these an 8.5/10. It’s about time TPE had proper intercity trains, and I think these will do an excellent job. Hopefully there’s an option to extend the rakes in the future.

Once again, thanks for reading! :)
 

86247

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2017
Messages
329
Location
clock face
I've seen pics of 4590 and it does look superb I've old enough to remember that livery first time round we have that livery and ribble about time we had a crosville one next for the 68s they sound hellfire I saw 68026 and 68030 at lea green yesterday and mk5s are really comfy and bright far better then a 185
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
I've seen pics of 4590 and it does look superb I've old enough to remember that livery first time round we have that livery and ribble about time we had a crosville one next for the 68s they sound hellfire I saw 68026 and 68030 at lea green yesterday and mk5s are really comfy and bright far better then a 185

Yeah I agree, I think the 185s are decent but the 68/Mk5A stock is definitely an improvement. I'm looking forward to trying the 397s and 802s too.
 

86247

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2017
Messages
329
Location
clock face
I've seen you tube vids of the 802s the acceleration is like a 331 like a rocket going off as for the 397s they look amazing can't wait to try one myself
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
I tried the 68s and MK5s the other day finally, really enjoyed that. Those MK5s are surprisingly comfy and really rather nice looking. I'd be very happy to have them my way!

Didn't get time to try a 195 in the end, and no 802s were noted on my visit, but they're solid trains on GWR and can't imagine them being anything but excellent on TPX.

I really must do a trip report...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top