• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3day scottish rover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
19 Oct 2018
Messages
6
What is the best way to do the 3 day scottish rover starting from Edinburgh to cover all routes in the area with the least changes
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Don't think it's possible to cover every route in Scotland in three days.
 

scotrail158713

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
1,826
Location
Dundee
Does it have to be Edinburgh - isn't Glasgow a better start point ?
Depends what you’re looking to do. If you’re looking to just cover the routes, you could probably cover the routes out of Edinburgh (North Berwick, Fife & Borders) within a day, and then spend two days in Glasgow.
Don't think it's possible to cover every route in Scotland in three days.
I think @Mick Cranfield is looking at the Central Scotland rover - where it may well be possible.
 
Joined
19 Oct 2018
Messages
6
Does it have to be Edinburgh - isn't Glasgow a better start point ?
I have accommodation at Edinburgh booked as I am doing tornado trip to Aberdeen on the Thursday so I am coming up from Kent on Sunday , so from Monday to Wednesday I plan to buy a 3day scottish rover and wanted to know the best way to cover all the railway lines on the rover area including the Glasgow underground
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,283
The three day rover product is for Central Scotland only, isn't it? (The equivalent product for the Highlands being for four days (in eight)).
 
Joined
19 Oct 2018
Messages
6
It is just the central area, must start at Edinburgh and include Glasgow underground I have already covered the tweedbank route I am looking for the best way to cover all the routes covered by the rover, and times of trains if possible, the use of the rover cannot be used before
09 16 I shall be useing it on Monday to Wednesday, I am coming up from kent as do not know much about these routes
 
Joined
19 Oct 2018
Messages
6
So it's just the Central Belt area, not Scotland in general ?
Yes, only the central belt area it will be mid September
I will be using Monday to Wednesday cannot start before 09 16 and must start from Edinburgh I have already done the tweed bank route, and include Glasgow underground
 

scotrail158713

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
1,826
Location
Dundee
It is just the central area, must start at Edinburgh and include Glasgow underground I have already covered the tweedbank route I am looking for the best way to cover all the routes covered by the rover, and times of trains if possible, the use of the rover cannot be used before
09 16 I shall be useing it on Monday to Wednesday, I am coming up from kent as do not know much about these routes
If you know when you’re coming, then it’s might be possible to look on Real Time Trains just now. That’s currently the only place that I know of that’s showing “normal” timetables just now (if you put in a date in September, for example) - TOC websites only have their temporary timetables.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,971
Location
Airedale
Stating the obvious, you have 5 routes (6 with Stirling) between E and G, so that gives you your out and backs, and you can probably cover Cumbernauld-Motherwell as part of one of them.
Most of the Glasgow suburban network is off-limits anyway, so you don't have too many doublebacks!
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,283
Fife circle (out via Kirkcaldy and return via Cowdenbeath for example) and returns from Edinburgh to/from Tweedbank and also to/from North Berwick worth doing also. Enjoy!
 
Joined
19 Oct 2018
Messages
6
Thank you all a few tips to go on , I will have my track maps out and follow these leads any other help would be appreciated
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top