• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

37s with Vintage Trains In September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drimnagh Road

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2009
Messages
688
Location
Dublin
In conjunction with the Great Western 175 celebrations. Some of these fares are a complete joke and make Pathfinder look like a bargain!

Saturday 18th September:

Solihull-Plymouth (one way)
http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/tours/vt2010_0918.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday 19th September:

Plymouth-Looe shuttles top 'n' tailing with a kettle
http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/tours/vt2010_0919_looe.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday 20th September:

Plymouth-Solihull (one way)
http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/tours/vt2010_0927.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

These trains are repeated the following weekend also
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Minor point, but it's GWR 175 ;)

Agreed that the fares are a bit mad. It's that which has put me off doing those runs in September, although I have now since committed to another event featuring 37s in September anyway.

It would have been outrageously funky to have a 37 on the Looe branch, but I am not paying £25 for the privilege! Combined with fares to/from Liskeard for it, it would be an outrageously expensive weekend!
 

87015

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2006
Messages
5,078
Location
GEML/WCML/SR
Perhaps the most ridiculous fare is that from Plymouth-Liskeard on Sunday, £20 for 18 miles http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/tours/vt2010_0926_tamar.htm.... No thanks.

Pretty similar to part fares on PF/Spitfire etc...

Its going to be limited load and a very rare chance to do such things, so I don't think the prices are that high. Suppose 37s neds are about the only ones who have enough tours that they can afford to pick and choose between them though. Bet there wouldn't be wibbling about the cost if it was a 20 as planned originally.
 

Drimnagh Road

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2009
Messages
688
Location
Dublin
For £59.50 on Saturday gone I got 3x 37s, plus three other locos, on a high mileage Spitfire Railtour from Birmingham-Carlisle and back. That is £60 well spent, I don't mind parting with cash if I'm getting value for money.

So £60 to go from Solihull-Plymouth is expensive for one way, fair enough that the return travel by normal train is included, but I would be prepared to pay around £40 for that kind of trip.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Regarding the part fares comment, I did Bristol to Penzance with Spitfire recently for £30 one way. 207 miles too, very reasonable. Pathfinder weren't that much more, I think it was £35 they quoted me.

So yeah, £20 for 18 miles is a lot!
 

TGVDUDE

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,041
Location
Cheltenham
I was thinking of booking on this tour, the fact that it is one way doesn't bother me as return travel is included, just the value for money isn't that good opposed to my first railtour in June to Penzance with Spitfire, which was fantastic value for money with 2 37s on a good mileage journey. The Down Devonian will only have one 37 for 1 way only for £50, I would join at Swindon and I'd pay £30/£40.
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
For £59.50 on Saturday gone I got 3x 37s, plus three other locos, on a high mileage Spitfire Railtour from Birmingham-Carlisle and back. That is £60 well spent, I don't mind parting with cash if I'm getting value for money.

So £60 to go from Solihull-Plymouth is expensive for one way, fair enough that the return travel by normal train is included, but I would be prepared to pay around £40 for that kind of trip.

I think you should bear in mind the fact that your return trip is going to be flexible, rather than a specific train (from what I gather), you'd pay more than £60 for a flexible single from Plymouth-Solihull I'd think, so is it really that poor value.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
I think you should bear in mind the fact that your return trip is going to be flexible, rather than a specific train (from what I gather), you'd pay more than £60 for a flexible single from Plymouth-Solihull I'd think, so is it really that poor value.

If it's flexible would it be possible to come back from Plymouth as far as Reading on the Night Riviera, and then go up to Solihull via Leamington? If so, then the extra loco haulage might just make £60 seem decent value. Otherwise I'd agree with Drimnagh Road that this makes Chingfinder look like the railtour equivalent of a pound shop.

I get a sort of grim satisfaction when tours get caped because greedy operators charge too much. Not saying I'm hoping it'll happen, but there's something good about seeing the administration of such a business lesson. Apparently there's a recession on you know.
 

ilovelooe

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2010
Messages
7
Minor point, but it's GWR 175 ;)

Agreed that the fares are a bit mad. It's that which has put me off doing those runs in September, although I have now since committed to another event featuring 37s in September anyway.

It would have been outrageously funky to have a 37 on the Looe branch, but I am not paying £25 for the privilege! Combined with fares to/from Liskeard for it, it would be an outrageously expensive weekend!

Considering that steam hasn't been on the Looe Valley Line for approx. fifty years and probably never will be again in our lifetimes, it doesn't seem such an horrendous price.

10


You can find out more on my website - http://www.ilovelooe.co.uk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top