I don't see why. If stock was designed from the outset so that the power train coud accept the 3 varied inputs why would a refurb be needed? Just take units out in turn to swap the diesel bits for pans as electrification proceeds and by the end of the process each electrified line would have 100% electric stock. No need for any refurb at all.
I was more thinking that they'd be ordering diesel/electric bi-mode units now and converting them to battery bi-mode as more electrification coverage comes in. If so, the battery units to replace the diesel engines is where I was thinking the expense would come from. I don't know of any plans for Scotland to electrify the entire Inter7City network by the time new trains are ordered to either diesel or battery power will be needed.
Are there any battery-powered services in the world currently that currently regularly run the sort of distance between Edinburgh and Inverness? If not, then the use of battery powered technology is unproven in the real world on the types of services these trains would need to run.
as long as the refurb reallly does get them back into "full" working order after the current woeful performance/condition...
Agreed. I hope that is the case and that the current performance is fixable and merely a reflection of how they're being treated on approach to their replacement by 810s.