• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1980s and 1990s intercity window labels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

colchesterken

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
768
I had a bad experence with window labels in the mid 90s. been to dentists so turned up at Ipswich station later than normal, train in station did not look at indicator saw the window label it said colchester and london, Jumped on at last monent no announcments then, I got a bit panic as we went past Colchester at about 90 mph
I had got a non stop to london, took off the label had "a discussion " with the guard he said it was the responsibility of staff at Norwich to remove old labels,at my request the guard signed the label and I got a free return trip to london.
arrived in work 2hrs late boss not happy I contributed my lunch break to the loss,,grrrrrr
 

High Dyke

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2013
Messages
5,018
Location
Yellabelly Country
Is there a site where I can view old window labels from the 1980's and 1990's?
Damn! An opportunity missed. In my formative years i collected these, but since got rid of the majority - i have about 4 left at home. If only i'd had the nouse to scan them and put them on the worldwide wobbly web... :|
 
Last edited:

Helvellyn

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2009
Messages
2,581
Damn! An opportunity missed. In my formative years i collected these, but since got rid of the majority - i have about 4 left at home. If only i'd had the nouse to scan them and put them on the worldwide wobbly web... :|
Snap. I've a few left buried away in storage, but no where near what I had. I also had some classic posters that I picked up from the local station, including one for the "CrossCountry Grill" offering up the delights of freshly cooked food from the gas rings of a Mark 1 RBR and another advertising the John Peel, that ran from Carlisle to Euston (think it was the first train of the day).
 

dannypye9999

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2013
Messages
392
I used to collect these. I spent years collecting them, i had a good 5000 collected until one day the hobby got boring and I decided i didn't need them anymore. They came in handy one bonfire night, and then about 5 years later i discovered e-bay and missed an good opportunity to make some mint, perhaps scan and upload them for other members to download.

Now i miss these and i would love to view them online if any exist still. I know one website i looked at recently saw many of the old Gatwick/Brighton labels.


also wondered if they are still on display at Stalybridge as they used to have a few in the windows there?
 

RPM

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2009
Messages
1,531
Location
Buckinghamshire
I used to have quite a few on Fotopic, but I've not put them online since the demise of that host. Might do it someday.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,849
Location
Epsom
Sold all mine ( about 100 - 150 ) on e-Bay a few years ago; each one was marked on the reverse with the date of travel, locomotive and full formation details... so if you have one in your collection marked thus the chances are it originated from me!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top