Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
Yes, the view is incredible from the higher parts. I've not taken any night shots yet, but will do.
I'll have a look for some of the other daytime shots I have, have an album of them somewhere!
This is Great Whernside, taken from Grenoside in Sheffield. It just pokes its head above the nearer hills!
It's not that far away to be fair, but most local people don't believe you can see the Yorkshire Dales from Sheffield.
QUOTE="DerekC, post: 4302458, member: 31961"]Can anybody confirm that this is doable
It is indeed doable! Looking at heywhatsthat.com, there are many places in the area of Rhiw where Lugnaquilla can be seen. Mynydd Mawr is further n/w though? Looking at Google Earth.
As for Belmont, only one...
It's just under 50 miles from this viewpoint. If you go further west into the hills, it's still easily visible.
I've been trying to work out the longest line of sight just in England, might be able to see the Belmont transmitter from the Dales near Reeth, about 105 miles apart.
They are a bit grainy, I have some others somewhere - but you can make out the landmarks. The structures to the far right on the Minster upload are York Racecourse grandstand and Terry's chocolate factory. Can also see York Hospital to the far left.
Very interesting thread! I've taken quite a few long distance photos from Sheffield - York Minster, Humber Bridge, Bilsdale transmitter can all clearly be seen on a good day.
A fantastic website for calculating lines of sight is this: https://www.heywhatsthat.com/
It appears that from Cross...
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.